Monday, April 19, 2010

Trainwreck of the Day - Lindsay Lohan

Like many people, I am strangely enthralled with trainwrecks. In particular, the trainwreck that is Lindsay Lohan. On the one hand, I wish no one would ever write an article about her or take her photograph again. On the other hand, whenever I see an article about her, I have to read it, and whenever I spot a photograph of her falling outside of a bar, I have to look at it and laugh. I understand this makes no sense, and I also understand that by writing this post I'm being a hypocrite. It’s just that I’m constantly amused by the stupid things she does. It’s enthralling. Remember when she had those photographs taken where she attempted to look like Marilyn Monroe? (God, why do all young starlets do this to themselves? You are not and will never be Marilyn.) Remember when she was getting DUIs more often than the rest of us were changing bars of soap? Remember when she first started leaving the house in tights with no pants? (Tights, not leggings, but tights.) Remember when she decided she was a lesbian? Oh, and remember when she sued eTrade because she thought they were mocking her?

At one time, maybe two or three years ago, I thought maybe she could pull it together. But now? These stupid antics have been going on for so long that they are a part of her persona. Is it even possible to see Lindsay Lohan “acting” in a movie and to think about anything other than how far she has fallen? This is a girl who had everything, the world was her oyster so to speak, and she completely face planted. Can she ever come back? Robert Downey Jr. did, but not only is he immensely talented, he was never as out there as Lindsay. Every time I see a photograph of her, I can’t help but wonder whether she ever just stays at home and watches TV. There have got to be places in Los Angeles or New York she could go without getting bombarded by paparazzi. Right? So why does she constantly go to all the super trendy places where the paparazzi hang out? I can only conclude that she likes the attention, and is too dense to realize that none of this is helping her career. Oh wait, what career?

And now the NY Daily News is reporting that she is $600,000 in credit card debt. This follows on the heels of a report that she was $23,000 behind in her rent, which she has apparently now paid. If you think about it, this report is entirely plausible. Although it seems like Lindsay has been around for ages and must be at least 40 years old, she is really only 23 years old. And the last “big” movie she was in was probably Mean Girls back in 2004. Six years ago. She’s essentially had a series of flops and a complete meltdown since then. In short, I don’t find it difficult at all to believe that she has gone through all of her money. I mean, this is a girl who lived at the Chateau Marmont hotel for a year when she had a perfectly good house.

Whether or not Lindsay doesn’t have the money to pay the credit cards or that she simply forgot to pay the credit cards, this only adds more fuel to the fire that her career is completely and utterly done. Although I would miss the entertainment that is Lindsay Lohan, I sincerely wish this girl would just take a step back out of the limelight for about two years. Move to Idaho like Demi Moore did. Go to college. Read a book. Hide in an attic and make paper flowers. Do anything other than shop and try to get into the hottest club. Sit back and think about what you are doing and what you want out of your life. Is this really it, Lindsay?

No comments:

Post a Comment