Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Home Depot Garden Center

For the first time in my adult life, I actually have a back patio and deck all my own. Since I live in the city, I do not have any yard to speak of, and this is as good as it gets. In fact, it is rather perfect. I bought this townhouse at the end of last summer, so this is the first opportunity I’ve had to deal with outdoor d├ęcor – a.k.a. flowers and crap.

I don’t have a green thumb. At least, I don’t think I do. Like fish, flowers and plants have never particularly interested me. I think flowers are very pretty, but the variety I usually have are precut and in a vase. At any rate, the nice weather over the weekend got to me, and I got the urge to go to the Home Depot Garden Center to purchase some flowers for my back porch. Rather than be lazy about it, my goal was to actually buy a pot, flowers, and dirt, and do some potting.

On Saturday I made my first trip over. Other than the flowers, I had to buy some hedge trimmers (which are like $30, by the way – who knew?) because my front porch has turned into a jungle. The hedge trimmers were the easy part, although the trimming itself is another story entirely.

It’s an understatement to say that the Garden Center over at Home Depot is overwhelming. Pots, flowers, vegetables, dirt, planting tools, fertilizer, etc. Who knows what to do with all this stuff? I wandered aimlessly around with my cart for over an hour. None of the pots were quite right. The terra cotta pots crack in the winter, so those were immediately ruled out. (Because God knows I won’t bring them inside.) The plastic ones looked chinzy, the stone ones were very heavy and I wasn’t in the mood for that, some were too big, some were too small, and on and on and on.

Finally I found a cute little wooden window box. I don’t have a window to put it on, but I thought it might look nice sitting on the ground on the edge of my patio. So one mission done. Then I had to find flowers. There are tons of different kinds of flowers, and they are everywhere, both outside and inside, lined up on huge racks. And it was very hot. I finally grabbed a plastic thing of vinca roses, which look sort of like…pansies? Petunias? I don’t know, one of those. But they’ll do. And they are pink.  In fact, here is a picture of one:



The window box said it held 20 quarts of dirt. I bought two eight quart bags. The window box lied. It took one eight quart bag, and maybe that was a little much. I failed to follow the directions on the tag inserted into the flowers, and planted them way too close together, so now they are my little experiment. But they look really pretty inside the window box and now occupy a prime spot on the edge of my patio. They also smell nice.

This inspired me to go back on Sunday and buy more flowers. It was even hotter on Sunday, and like an idiot I wore my glasses over instead of my contacts. They slipped down my nose the entire time I was wandering up and down the aisles of flowers. I wanted daffodils because they are pretty, but they apparently bloom in the spring. No can do. (Jeez, so much to know about this flower business.) I need summer flowers. There were a lot that were pretty (because less face it, pretty is all I really care about), but after about an hour, the thought of pushing around a big shopping cart (I am anti shopping cart), picking up multiple plastic trays, another bag or two of potting soil, and a pot, and having to go home and actually put the entire thing together was simply too much. I bought a prepotted pot of gerber daisies for $14.99. They look like this:



Pretty, eh?  And they look lovely. Home Depot, I will be back, but I will be upfront – I may take the lazy way out again. You do have some very cute prepotted things.

No comments:

Post a Comment