Monday, June 21, 2010

A Classier, More Sophisticated American Apparel

 Gawker has exposed the grooming code and other various hiring requirements of American Apparel. Apparently American Apparel is seeking to move into a “more sophisticated, expensive, classy, direction.” They describe this direction as ““Classy-Vintage-Chique-Late 80’s-Early 90’s-Ralph Lauren-Vogue-Nautical-High end brand [sic]” at the latter link.

I’m not entirely sure what this means. It appears that they took a bunch of different types of styles, dropped them into a hat, pulled out nine and decided that would be the new direction. Also, is “chique” really a word? Do they mean “chic”? And isn’t Vogue an entire magazine? They couldn’t come up with anything more focused than that? What an amalgamation of crap.

I find all of this pretty hilarious, because I hate American Apparel. I do not understand the appeal of a store entirely full of items made of jersey or spandex, not to mention the many items in the store that require instructions on how to wear. The last time I was in American Apparel (there is one right by my house, so I wander in occasionally), the shelves were stocked with shine/glittery tights-to-be-worn-as-pants, shorts that looked like 1980s track shorts, and the usual array of t-shirts, jersey dresses, and jersey skirts. The store was basically a 2010 version of Rave. (If you don’t remember Rave, it was a popular store back in the late 80s, early 90s.) With the above, they appear to have acknowledge that this was the wrong direction to go; although, I’m not sure the new direction is any more clear.

I mean, this doesn’t exactly scream “sophisticated, expensive, and classy” does it?


No comments:

Post a Comment