Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Independence, Earning, and Accomplishment

I've been watching this show on VH-1 called "You're Cut Off."  It's about a group of spoiled rich women whose families feel they have taken advantage of the riches of the family.  So, the family has "cut them off."  Throughout the show so far, the women have been expected to do such normal, everyday things as clean the house, go grocery shopping, shop on a budget, interview for a job, and work a job.  These are the things most of us do on a day to day basis without even thinking about it, but to these women writing a resume is "degrading" and cleaning the house is "gross."  Most of the women on the show are completely unlikeable.  I'm not sure if they are posturing in order to attempt to be the next Omarosa (who was a guest star in one of the episodes) or if this is their real personalities, but their attitudes are quite shocking to someone like me who is quite used to working for a living.  Heck, I like to tell the Wendy's employees about my days working at Wendy's back in high school.  They look at me like I'm crazy when I do that, but I had a blast working at Wendy's back in the day. 

It's funny, because on one hand it would be nice to be like the women on the show.  Not having to work, being able to spend thousands of dollars on each shopping spree, never having to go to college, work, or worry about money.  (Because let's face it, most worries fall into the money realm.)  But then again, in watching the latest episode where the women had to write a resume, interview for a job, work, and get a paycheck (for many of them, their first paycheck ever), it occurred to me all of the things that I have that these women do not have:

1)  The feeling of accomplishment of graduating from college;

2)  The feeling of accomplishment of interviewing for and getting my first job after college;

3)  The feeling of accomplishment of buying my very first car with my own money (oh 15th anniversay edition Celica, how I miss you!) that I got due to the offer letter from number 2;

4)  The feeling of accomplishment of getting into and graduating from law school;

5)  The feeling of accomplishment of passing the bar exam;

6)  The feeling of accomplishment of getting a job as an attorney;

7)  The feeling of accomplishment of making partner at my firm in five years;

8)  The feeling of accomplishment of buying my own home, that cost over half a million dollars; and

9)  The feeling of accomplishment of looking at my closet, my car, and my home, and knowing that I did every single bit of it on my own.

There are definitely some things money can't buy.  Paying your own way and doing things on your own is also a feeling money can't buy.  While some of the feelings may be based on something that cost money (i.e. my education cost money, but that "can never be taken away from me," according to my mom, and my car cost money, and my house cost money, but it was MY money, not someone else's money.  I don't have to ask someone if I want to drop $2,000 on a purse, or even stop to think about it.  It's my money.)

Of course, Erica on the show keeps claiming that she is in law school, and she wants to be the next Nancy Grace or a "hot Judge Judy."  Yeah, because (as much as I can't stand Nancy Grace) both of them did nothing in order to get on television, and never worked a day in their life.  God, these girls are so deluded.  I can't really recommend this show because these girls are so unlikeable that the show is hardly even fun to watch.  Interesting, yes.  Fun, not really.  And I hope to see none of them anywhere in any magazine or any paparazzi photo once this show is over.  Their fifteen minutes is hopefully over.   

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know I stumbled on your blog a few days ago and I absolutely love your take on priorities, style and life in general! Adding you to my Google Reader!

    xoxo
    Lara

    ReplyDelete