Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ants! And Drain Flies!

I made the mistake of having a small gathering on July 4.  It was fun and all, but things got spilled and dropped on the floor (mostly things like liquor and frosting.)  I did a half ass job of cleaning up the floor on Monday, since I didn't have to go to work, and didn't think much of it.

So, when I got home from work today, I encountered...ants.  Tiny little sugar ants.  In my dishwasher, all around my dishwasher, and all over my kitchen floor.  A few randoms even made it up to the counter, where they were nearly impossible to spot because my counter is brown/white/black granite.  It goes without saying that ants completely suck.  And I wouldn't have the ants if I wouldn't have had the party.  God just can't stop punishing me for having some fun.

I crushed every ant I could spot, wiped down my hardwood floors with vinegar, found the ant entryway through a hole next to my front door, which I promptly spackled over this evening, and sprinkled a line of cinnamon along the door, just in case they find a way to make it through the spackle.  So far, so good.  I haven't seen an ant in about an hour.  And believe me, I've been looking.

Through my Googling about what to do about the ant situation (since I've never had ants), I also decided to try to figure out what these strange fly creatures are that are all over my place.  They are like drunk mini flies because they are insanely easy to kill.  They just do not fly very well.  I think they are drain flies.  Internet wisdom advised pouring bleach down the drains, so I did that in my two drains down in the basement.  I pray to God this gets rid of them.

I also pray to God that I don't wake up tomorrow morning to a colony of ants in my kitchen.

UPDATE:  One lone ant got through the Cinnamon.  I squashed him.  Hopefully he is the scout, and that will relay to the others that there is nothing to see here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment