Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Lady Gaga Situation

When Lady Gaga first arrived on the scene, I somewhat liked "Just Dance" and "Poker Face."  Actually, to be completely honest, I loved "Poker Face."  I listened to it over and over again on my iPod.

Her clothing choices made me smile at first.  Okay, she's a pop star, she's trying to get attention, yada, yada, yada.  Fine, whatever.  When she carried a tea cup around with her, I thought it was stupid.  When she tied her hair into a bow I thought she looked ridiculous.  But whatever.  I mean, I was a huge Madonna fan back in the Lucky Star/Like a Virgin days, and Madonna certainly wore some ridiculous garb.  So, Lady Gaga is Madonna for today's kids.  (As an aside, my roommate from college was horrified when her 10 year old daughter asked her what Madonna is famous for.  Are we getting old or what?)

But then there was the big "Telephone" video, and the big "Alejandro" video, and who watches videos anymore anyway?  I wish MTV still played videos.  Now I can only see them if I get up early enough on the weekends to catch the countdown on VH-1.  Those really were the days when MTV played Yo! MTV Raps after school, Headbangers Ball, and videos throughout the day.  Now we are stuck with Teen Mom, 16 & Pregnant, Jersey Shore, Real World, and the other reality shows that pervade MTV.  (Not that I don't watch them, but still, it would be nice to be able to watch some videos every once in awhile.)

And then Lady Gaga stopped wearing pants in public (seriously, who gets away with that?), and then there was the debacle about Lady Gaga's outfit on some flight, where she had to change out of it because they were worried she would get deep vein thrombosis, and then she wore a beekeeper's outfit to her sister's graduation, and then she didn't wear pants to the Yankee's game, and then she keeps wearing these hooflike boots that caused her to fall recently, and then she posed on the cover of Rolling Stone in a thong with a machine gun....and it all just kind of wears me out.  We get it Lady Gaga, you are a Unique Snowflake, and you have to Dress KrAZy.  But really, the clothing plus her interviews makes it seem like she takes herself way too seriously.  I mean, the bottom line is that she's a pop singer.  None of her lyrics are deep in any sense of the word (because I'm bluffing with my muffin?), none of her songs are deep in any sense of the word, and frankly, Madonna did it before and Madonna did it better.  (And Madonna at least had some songs that could arguably be called deep and with better lyrics; I don't care if Lady Gaga went to Julliard.  I guess I have more respect for the girl who grew up broke in Rochester, MI and went to New York to follow her dreams than the girl who grew up rich in New York and went to Julliard.)   

It could be that Lady Gaga is smarter than anyone realizes and actually dresses like a nut so that she can go out in normal clothes and not be recognized.  Now that, I would respect.  But at this point, I would just like it a lot if she would wear pants, wear a shirt, and not talk like she is the next coming of David Bowie.  So now I'm torn because I already bought my Lollapalooza 3 day pass, and she's playing Friday night, and when I bought it I wanted to see her, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm going to try to do my best to ignore Lady Gaga the person and just listen to the music, but it's so damn hard when she constantly does ridiculous things and wears ridiculous things that are all over the media.  It's almost like she's trying her hardest to make people not like her, get tired of her, and be completely over it.  Actually, that's about how I'm feeling these days.  But honestly, I'll probably at least swing by and watch her for a few minutes at Lollapalooza.  I mean, I already bought the ticket, right?     

No comments:

Post a Comment