Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lindsay Lohan = Jail

Obviously Lindsay Lohan was found to have violated her probation in today's hearing.  I listened to the hearing while I was at work today, and her poor lawyer didn't even have any argument.  (Ms. Holley's entire argument appeared to be that Lindsay was on track to finish by July 15, so her violations shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things.)  Lindsay clearly did not do what Judge Revel told her to do back in December, which was to attend alcohol education courses once a week until she was finished.  For at least 7 weeks (possibly 9, I kind of zoned out during parts of the hearing), Lindsay did not attend.  The prosecutor had no trouble proving her case. 

Now, Lindsay is a 24 year old woman.  Many people, by the time they are 24, have completed college and have careers with responsibility.  They don't have assistants, managers, publicists, or a team of lawyers.  Many people at that age also have children they are raising without any of the above.  Yet, they somehow manage to be responsible and do what they are supposed to do.  But Lindsay seems to think that she doesn't have to take any responsibility for her own actions in causing this mess. 

Prior to sentencing, Lindsay tearfully made a statement to Judge Revel: 
"As far as I knew I was in compliance with my programs...I wasn't trying to get special treatment...I have to provide for myself. I have to work. Having said that, I did everything to balance my jobs and showing up. I'm not taking this as a joke. It's my life. It's my career. … I take responsibility for my actions. I've tried to do the best I can. It's been such a long haul. … I don't want you to think that I don't respect you."
This is such bullshit.  Still, she's blaming other people for her failure to comply.  She thought she was compliant?  This goes against arguments made by her attorney, who stated that she told Lindsay what happened at the hearing in December.  This goes against the testimony of the alcohol education witness, who stated that she discussed the Judge's December order with Lindsay.  Lindsay knew what she had to do.  She just chose not to do it.  Her actions have shown that she doesn't respect the Court or the Judge.  Judge Revel's December order could not have been more clear.  She explicitly said that Lindsay would go to jail if she did not attend her classes once a week until July 15.  Yet Lindsay continued to party, shop, and travel, and pushed all of this on the back burner.  Wrong choice.

So, why is Lindsay so shocked that she is now going to jail for 90 days (well, much less than that due to overcrowding), followed by 90 days in in patient rehab?  This shouldn't be shocking at all, and I'd be shocked if her lawyer hadn't told her that this was bound to happen.  Her lawyer had no argument.  None.  There was nothing she could say.  What do you do with a client that refuses to listen?

Are you listening now, Lindsay? 

I feel like I should feel sorry for her, but I don't.  This is all her own doing.  She's had three years to complete this alcohol education program, but instead she chose to party, shop, and travel.  Despite her pleas that she's been working, it's difficult to find what she's been working on.  Since 2007, she has been on Ugly Betty, a straight to cable movie called Labor Pains (filmed in Los Angeles), and Machete.  And a bunch of photo shoots and club appearances.  Not exactly a busy schedule, or a busy enough schedule that she couldn't be in Los Angeles one day a week to attend alcohol education.  Her priorities were skewed, and now she's paying the price.  I actually think this could be the best thing to happen to her.  Get her out of the spotlight for awhile, and let her think about what she wants to do with her life.  Because what would be sad is for all of her potential to be thrown away.   

No comments:

Post a Comment