Friday, July 9, 2010

No Text Speak on the Bar Exam

The July bar exam here in Illinois is coming up in a few weeks.  (Boy, I don't envy all those new law school grads at all.  After I took the bar exam I felt like I had ran a marathon.  It's a pretty miserable experience.  But hey, study hard, and remember - all you need is a D!)

I hadn't been thinking much about the bar exam, since our few new associates who are taking it have now committed themselves to full time study (as they should be.)  But I came across this little gem, an announcement from the Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar:

The Illinois Essay Examination (IEE), Multistate Performance Test (MPT) and Multistate Essay Examination (MEE) are the written components of the Illinois bar examination. Quality of writing counts. Answers written in a form other than paragraphed essay form on the IEE and MEE will not receive full credit. Answers to the MPT must be in the form called for by the MPT question to receive full credit. Excessive use of abbreviations, such as symbols, acronyms and text-talk, may result in score reduction.

The bolding is mine.  Seriously?  They have to tell new law school graduates who are sitting for the bar exam in order to be able to practice law in the state of Illinois that they should not use symbols, acronyms and tex-talk on the freaking bar exam?  I can only surmise that this warning arose out of people doing such things.  Have we really dropped this low?  Do "kids" these days really think text-talk is appropriate for anything other than texting?  (For the record, I don't even use it when texting.  I find it absurd.)

No comments:

Post a Comment