Monday, July 26, 2010

The President on The View

Well, President Obama is going to appear on The View on Thursday.

The View.

The article explains that this is the first time a sitting President has appeared on a daytime talk show. I don’t know how I feel about this. I’ll go on record and say that I don’t care for Presidents and Vice Presidents appearing on talk shows like Leno and Letterman, even though that is now standard practice. While I understand that it is an effort to reach portions of the population who may not be interested in politics, there is something about appearing on those types of shows that seems to bring down the prestige of the office. It’s too casual, too low brow. While it may be nice to see the lighter side of the President’s personality, why can’t he show that during official speeches here and there? Why does it have to be on a talk show? The President isn’t, after all, a rock star, an actor or actress, a comedian, or any other type of entertainment personality who usually appears on talk shows. Nor, in my opinion, should the President be viewed as a celebrity.

Something about The View has always rubbed me the wrong way. When it first came out, I thought I might like it since I always liked Barbara Walters. But I watched it a couple of times, and found that it was generally a bunch of women talking over each other and either giggling or fighting. Then there was the whole Rosie O’Donnell/Elizabeth Hasselbeck debacle. And it always seems like I’m hearing about controversy about The View in some shape or form. In all, the show just is not really my cup of tea. Plus, I’m at work when its on.

It’s easy to see why Obama might want to go on a daytime talk show like The View, given that its viewership is pretty high, and a lot of women in this country watch the show, and as Joe Biden pointed out the other day, it’s time to start campaigning and talking about all that has been accomplished. I assume that’s what Obama intends to do on Thursday. But isn’t it going to seem a little strange to see President Obama sitting on the couch in between Whoopi Goldberg, Elizabeth Hasselbeck, Joy Behar, Barbara Walters, and Sherri Shephard?

3 comments:

  1. That show is a trainwreck. Since I'm here with my mom during the day, we usually have coffe when it's on. It gives me a headache when they talk over one another. Elizabeth and Sherri are my least favorite and Barbara's minimal appearances have been nauseating.

    I agree that the President has no business being on a talk show. Low rent indeed. I'll still watch it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I complain, I am setting the DVR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what did you think about the show? You know they threatened to ball-gag Elizabeth if she got too controversial. The whole thing was so carefully crafted but light and accessible, I guess, for people that avoid politics.

    ReplyDelete