Sunday, July 18, 2010

This Is It

I finally watched This is It.  This was a movie I actually wanted to see in the theatre, but I never got around to it.  (The last movie I saw in a movie theatre was The Dark Knight, if that tells you anything.  I used to go to the movies at least once a week when I was in my 20s.  Now I never go.  I just don't want to spend the $10 for what I'm sure will be a big disappointment; too many movies start out well and then unravel in the last 30 minutes.  Or at this point, it feels like I've seen it all before.)

But don't get me wrong, I still watch movies.  I just watch them On Demand or on cable.  So, I had DVR'd This is It a few weeks ago, and finally got around to watching it today, since it was hotter than shit here in Chicago and I really kind of wanted to enjoy the air conditioning.  Now, I was a huge Michael Jackson fan back when I was a kid.  I saw him in concert when I was ten, I had a "Michael Jackson jacket" in black, and my Thriller record was one of my prized possessions.  I still remember when the Thriller video premiered on MTV and what a huge, massive deal it was.  Those were the days.

So, I was a huge fan.  Here was a guy who had a lot of talent.  (Although, to be honest, the crotch grabbing I really hated.)  I don't know what to think about all the child molestation charges against him and all of the drama.  Part of me feels that he was just stunted and stuck in his Jackson 5 days and lived the life of a child, and while he may have acted weird, probably didn't do anything inappropriate, but who knows.  At any rate, he was never convicted of anything, so that is good enough for me.  When he died, I was shocked.  I couldn't believe that Michael Jackson was dead.  It just seems so unreal, because he was such a huge part of my childhood.  I listened to his music over and over again in the days that followed.  I suspect I will have a similar reaction when Madonna dies.

At any rate, the movie.  I enjoyed it a lot, although it is hard to watch at times because he looked so damn freaky.  Why did he do that to his face?  Ugh.  But he still had it.  Anyone who said that he wasn't ready for that tour was damn crazy, because he was dancing and singing up a storm during those rehearsals.  And his singing voice was still great.  And what a perfectionist.  You really see what talent he had.  I have to admit, I cried a little bit -- and I never cry at movies.  I cried during the Smooth Criminal scenes, because that's always been one of my favorite songs, and what he had planned for that song was so freaking cool.  But I think, most of all I cried because he never got to put on that concert, and I think we all missed what would have been a truly spectacular concert.  And watching it all -- all these rehearsals where everyone is working so hard -- and knowing that it is never going to happen is really kind of depressing.              

1 comment:

  1. Haven't seen it yet but it's on my short list.

    My bf and I have wasted so much time debating MJ. He's convinced he's guilty. I don't think he is. I think some greedy opportunistic parents saw their ticket to early retirement and screwed with their childrens' minds. Looking at the timeline of medicine administered to him on the night/day he died, his doctor should have his license revoked. It was enough to kill a couple horses. Completely unacceptable.

    Oh, and I was on the edge of my seat, demaning we go to my grandma's house to watch the Thriller premier on MTV. (We didn't have cable.) When I took ballet, a lot of the older kids were doing dance numbers to it and I would always get excited at recitals when it was thier turn.

    Poor poor man.

    Thanks for that comment about my mom btw. It is sad to watch and I feel like we've already done the mourning process together a thousand times. She's so tough.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete