Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bears Season Tickets and My Fantasy Football Lineup

Well, there are currently 4,935 people in front of me to get season Bears tickets -- which means I should get mine in about 20 years, unless the Bears start playing really badly and the line moves a little faster.  I could really kick myself for not getting on the waiting list sooner.  I bought season tickets off an acquaintance for the past four years, and sort of expected to keep doing that, so I never got on the list until last year, and then this year (for various reasons) I opted not to buy season tickets off him, so I'm left in the dust. 

My other option is to buy PSL seats, which I will hopefully be able to do for next season, but they can get a little expensive.  Luckily I'm not terribly picky when it comes to seating location, other than I want to be 200 level or lower.  (God willing I make enough money to spare a bit for the extravagence of some seats in addition to the new car that I desperately want.  By end of year I will know my situation.  Goddamn overhead -- it's killing me!)

In brighter sports -- football -- news, we had our fantasy draft today.  Here is how my team played out:

QB   Phillip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
QB   Ben R., Pittsburgh Steelers (don't even ask me to try to spell his last name)
RB   Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings (yep, I went with him over Chris Johnson)
RB   Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts
RB   Ahmad Bradshaw, New York Giants
WR  Marques Colsten, New Orleans Saints
WR  Mike Sims-Walker, Jacksonville Jaguars
WR  Chad Ochocinco, Cincinnati Bengals
WR  Santonio Holmes, New York Jets
TE    John Carlson, Seattle Seahawks
TE    Zach Miller, Oakland Raiders
K      Mason Crosby, Green Bay Packers
K      Shayne Graham, Baltimore Ravens
DEF  Dallas Cowboys
DEF  Miami Dolphins

You'll notice, not a single Chicago Bear.  I almost took Johnny Knox, but opted for Sims-Walker instead.  I get to play one QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1K, and 1 DEF each week.  I wish I had a better starting QB.  Last year I had Peyton Manning, which worked out extremely well.  I actually think being at the end of the draft order is better in that you get two picks pretty close, so you can grab a good RB or WR, and also grab a top QB.  (The scoring in my league is a little strange, so QBs can do well.)  Yeah, I got to choose between Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson (a very hard choice, and I hope I made the right pick) for my first round pick, but then it didn't get back to me for 22 more picks, at which point all the top 5 QBs were gone, as well as most of the top RBs and WRs.  Oh well, I think I've got some good players, so we'll see how this all works out.  I'm hoping Colsten gets me part of the Drew Brees gravy train that is sure to play out.

Have I mentioned that I love playing fantasy football?  Last year was the first year I ever played, and while I have always loved watching NFL football, it really makes the games more interesting.  I get sucked into watching teams who I never would have previously watched, just to keep an eye on my -- or my opponents -- players.  And Direct TV has such the sweet set up.  You can program in your entire fantasy team, so they will flash updates across the bottom of the screen when one of your players does something, so you don't miss out anything and/or know when to switch over to another game.  At any rate, it's a lot of fun, but I find myself stuck in front of the TV and/or checking scores on my cell phone like a maniac pretty much all day on Sunday during football season.  I guess now I know what it feels like to be a man...       

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I love fantasy football as well and I played for 7 years now. Me and my roommate are big Bears fans. Speaking of which, you should definitely check this cool site about the Bears: http://store.chicagotribune.com/sports/nfl/bears/home-memorabilia.html

    ReplyDelete