Friday, August 20, 2010

A Little Chicago Road Rage This Week

I had the strangest thing happen the other night.

I was driving on a four lane road (two lanes each way), on the inner lane.  I was in the city, on Orleans Street, to be exact, and had just passed through the green light and was stuck in traffic behind the car in front of me.  Thus, the lane to my left was traffic going the opposite way, consisting of a line of cars trying to turn left.  I was most of the way through the intersection -- my back end was maybe hanging in the crosswalk -- and there was a car behind me, so I was sitting there, at a complete stop, minding my own business when....

The second car in line to my left (a total junker) was moving forward, and I happened to glance over, and the driver (some frat looking dude in about his mid-twenties, henceforth referred to as "Dude") was rolling down his window and gesturing to me.  I'm a little naive, so I thought maybe he wanted directions or something.  This is the conversation that ensued:

Dude: (screaming)  "Get in your lane!"

Me:  (panicking for a brief moment that I had drifted, but then checked myself.  I was in my lane.  I was also right behind the car in front of me, and the car behind me was directly behind me.  And there was at least six feet between me and this Dude.)  "What are you talking about?" 

Dude: (screaming)  "You are a terrible driver, clearly!" 

Dude then zoomed off and turned left, never to be heard from again.

I have no idea what this guy was talking about.  I was in my lane.  And I'm not a terrible driver.  Believe me, I've dated guys who were driving aficianados, and if I was a terrible driver, one of them would have informed me without question.  I don't claim to be the best, but I'm certainly not the worst.  I'm just not sure where this Dude thought I was supposed to be, and he was clearly able to get where he was trying to go, so it wasn't like I was blocking him. 

It was the weirdest thing.  All I can hope is that he got to wherever he was trying to go in such a hurry.  I mean, even if whatever I did (still currently unknown) annoyed him that much, people annoy me left and right all day, yet I don't scream at complete strangers.  What the hell is wrong with people?  

No comments:

Post a Comment