Thursday, August 12, 2010

More Weirdness from Airline Passengers

On my flight out to the west coast on Tuesday night, the plane was a Boeing 757 and I was in an aisle seat. While reading my book and waiting for everyone else to finish loading onto the plane, a girl approached who had the seat next to me. Before I could even put my book down and get up to let her through, she simply shoved her way through the very small opening between my knees and the seat in front of me and dove for the seat.

I’ve seen people do this before, and I don’t understand it. While they may feel they are being polite by not asking the aisle seater to get up, it’s much more of an inconvenience to me to have (a) someone’s ass right in my face; and (b) to have to try and squeeze in so there is enough space between my knees and the seat for him or her to get through. Seriously, I don’t mind getting up and it will take about two seconds. She got up twice during the flight to use the bathroom and did the same thing. She was quick about it, too – I usually didn’t even have time to react before she was up and her ass was right in my face.

She also did another thing during the 4 hour flight that continually baffles me – nothing. She did not listen to music, watch a movie (we all had the personal TV sets on the seatbacks in front of us, which gave a variety of movie options), read a book or magazine, play a video game or anything. She sat there and stared straight ahead for 4 hours, other than when she was running for the bathroom. I think I would die of boredom on a flight without a book or an iPod, yet I constantly see people get on the plane with nothing to do. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment