Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Random Thoughts on August 30/31

1.  I got a huge summary judgment win recently.  Like, huge as in I thought there was no way we could pull off a denial of summary judgment, even though we had some good arguments.  (The other side filed it.)  In fact, I was Nancy Negative, and told everyone on the team there was no way we were going to get it denied.  But, it happened, thanks to my briefing and my co-counsel's oral argument.  Oh, hurray!  So all day long I've been singing "All I Do Is Win" by D.J. Khaled.  I'm not sure if this is worse than me getting fired up for my appellate court argument last year by playing the Star Wars theme song in my hotel room.  (What is it about that song that just makes me want to go out and kick butt?) 

2.  Speaking of which, I am so into all of these hip hop/dance songs out nowadays.  I don't remember my mom being into current music as much as I am now when she was my age.  (Because I was 12 when she was my age.)  I just love upbeat hip hop/dance type songs.  Since I only listen to talk radio (more about that in a minute), I just browse the Top 100 on iTunes to find songs I like, and then use their recommendation feature to find more.  My top songs at this point are In the Ayer, Empire State of Mind, and Paper Rump (since it is a remix of my college days).  Yeah, I'm a little behind the times.  But I go through phases with songs -- I like this stuff for awhile, then I want more alternative type stuff, then I want heartbreaking songs, then something else.  But right now, I'm into all the hip hop/dance stuff.  I also love Donnie Wahlberg's I Got It.  Eh, what can I say.  He sang it on the cruise and it's damn catchy.

3.  Yeah, so I listen to talk radio almost exclusively now when I am in my car.  I think that officially makes me old.  I remember being a kid and being horrified when my parents wanted to listen to talk radio.  I listen to all kinds of stuff, but usually either NPR, Glen Beck, Dennis Miller, Michael Savage, Michael Medved, sports talk, or whatever else happens to be on.  I just like to hear opinions.  I'm not easily swayed -- I believe what I believe -- but I like to listen to opinions and other points of view.  I know these guys are all conservatives (except Michael Savage claims he's an independent), but there aren't any liberals to listen to, and....well....to be honest, I can't really stand to listen to the hard core liberals anyway.  I have to deal with that enough through the mainstream media.  It's nice to hear a different viewpoint sometimes.  I know people who are liberal don't think the mainstream media (other than Fox) is liberal, but they really are if you aren't liberal.  As I've said, I'm liberal in some facets, but not liberal in others, and some of the things they say are just really offensive to me.  I don't agree with any of the above guys in every way, but at least they don't offend me for having my opinion. 

4.  Sharon Angell and Dan Ryan keep sending me solicitations for money.  Dudes, I'm not in your state, which means I can't vote for you.  I understand you want money for the GOP, but just leave me alone.  I've got the awesome choice in November between Mark Kirk and Alexi Giannoulias.  It's a great choice, because they are both douchebags, so it will be a total "voting for the lesser evil or choosing the Libertarian candidate" kind of election for me.
 
5. I hope Venus Williams wins the U.S. Open.  She's always been my favorite Williams sister, and I was so sad for her when Serena broke through and kicked her ass repeatedly.  I've just always liked her and her outfits.  Sending good thoughts her way.

6.  I need to get Vogue's September issue.  What is wrong with me?  I used to subscribe to Vogue, but I found that I just don't read magazines much, so I stopped my subscription.  But their September issue is the bomb, and I need it.  I looked for it when I was at Dominick's last week, but it wasn't around the register.  WTF is with that?  I guess I have to go on an excursion tomorrow to find it.

7.  I'm thrilled to see that 60s is back in for fall because I have so many beautiful dresses and outfits that are true 60s vintage.  So I can wear them (not like I didn't before, since I wear what I want now), and everyone will think I am just super trendy.  (I have all of these amazing shift dresses with matching long coats that I wear to work every now and then, and every time I do, I get a ton of compliments from coworkers and random people.  I need to pull those into the regular rotation for fall.)  The good thing about a massive clothes collection like I have is that I can just pull things out when repeat trends hit.  By the way, wasn't camel also a trend within the past few years?  It seems like it was.     

8.  My sister's boyfriend fixed my downstairs shower door.  Who knew all it took was a roller from Home Depot and five minutes of his time?  He is my hero, because now I don't need to bring in a handyman.

9.  But I do need to bring in a plumber because one of my toilets is broken.  It just needs a kit fix, but God knows I can't do it, nor do I want to do it.  (I mean, I probaby in all actuality could figure it out and do it, but I have no desire to do it.  And I can't deal with anything toiletwise without getting sick.  I have the weakest stomach ever.)  So, I may have him fix some other thing also, since it doesn't look like I will have the cash to redo my bathrooms until next year at the earliest, and then maybe only one at a time, although my hopeful plan was to just do the two upstairs bathrooms at once and fast.  I just need the thingy that controls the shower/tub flow to be replaced in both bathrooms, because it is frozen in place in both upstairs bathrooms.  So maybe I'll have him deal with that while he is here fixing that toilet.  This is the first time since I lived with my parents that I've had multiple bathrooms, so while it's super nice to have guest bathrooms and extra bathrooms if a toilet goes bad, at the same time, it's more shit to fix and redo.  But I will not complain about having three full bathrooms!  Well, maybe a little.

10. And how about flashing.  I never knew what this was until we got a horrible rainstorm, and my lack of flashing gave way and leaked into my ceiling.  So, I need it all caulked up or the flashing replaced and all that.  We are working this out with the condo association, because we all have this problem.  Condo associations suck.  I could just get it fixed on my own, but I volunteered last year to be Secretary of our association (even though I just moved in) because no one else did, so I talk to our President a lot, and she urged me to wait until we figure out a solution for the entire complex (12 units), since we all have this problem, even though it hasn't yet appeared for everyone.  (Of course, people who don't have the problem yet don't want to pay for it, but that's another story entirely.)  The builder built our places not quite up to par back in 1985, and didn't do the flashing correctly.  So, we are dealing with it now.  (Although, to be fair to them, it apparently lasted this long.)  And we've gotten bids for the whole complex, and now we are going to have to approve a $1,000 or so per unit to get it fixed.  If it goes on much longer I'm just going to pay to get mine fixed.  It doesn't really matter to me, but I don't want it to get worse, and I already have to get my ceiling fixed.  So....  fun times.  It's fantastic to not be able to afford over a million dollars for a single family home in Chicago! 
  

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your win!

    I listen to talk radio all the time too. No one understands why I would want to hear other opinions. It doesn't mean I agree with everything they say, I just like knowing what the other side of mainstream media is talking about. Then, I go home and watch msnbc and it all balances out!

    You can totally fix your toilet. I just had to replace the innards on mine. The water in the back of the tank is CLEAN! The thing is called a ballcock (yeah) and they cost around $20. You need that and an adjustable wrench.

    Turn the water off on that knob beneath the toilet, flush the toilet to empty the tank (it won't empty all the way), put a trash can under the tank where you loosen the bolt thing to catch the extra water... pretty much put the new ballcock back in like the old one was).

    YOU CAN DO EET!

    I would totally just pay to get your flashing fixed on your own. The longer you wait, the more water damage you're ceiling is going to have... then mold, and all that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete