Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Writing a Big Old Check for the Final Time

Well, my final "buy in to be partner" payment is due at the end of this month.  $50,000.  This one I am not taking out a loan for, as I have with the others.  I am paying it out of my savings.  I've had this money in my savings all year, since last year's bonus, but I didn't want to burn it on other payments right off the bat.  I figured I'd leave it until the end.  But damn, I'm going to have to write that check within the next week.  And that almost clears out my savings, except for around $15,000.  (Of course, I have other stock market and such investments, but this is my liquid savings money in the bank that I can get to without a problem.)  I know $15,000 in the bank is nothing to sniff at, but it's been a long time since I've had that little in my bank account.  Somehow buying a townhouse and making partner all at around the same time leads to vast expenditures from the bank account. 

It's a little scary to write a check for that much money.  I remember when I bought my townhouse last year and went to the bank to get a cashier's check for $140,000 how strange I felt.  For some reason, I almost felt like I was doing something wrong, withdrawing that much money, even though it was my money that I had saved up in order to buy a place to live.  That's exactly what that money was there for, but God, when I took it out, how scary.  I thought the bank teller was looking me up and down and wondering why I had this money and whether I was scamming her or stole someone's identity or had gotten this money through something illegal.  I swear, all of that ran through my mind while I was waiting for her to cut the check.  I was sweating -- even though it was my money.  She did ask what the money was for, and I told her that it was for my downpayment, and she just congratulated me.  Sometimes I make something out of nothing.  What a dork.  But God, that's a lot of money, right?  And even scarier for me, the fear of losing that check on the way to the closing.  Good news is that I didn't.  All went according to plan.

Also good news is that after this payment, my year of "buy in to the partnership" hell will be done.  So, next year all I have to worry about is my share of the overhead, which is also nothing to sniff at.  I guess I'm somewhat of a small business owner now, since what I bring in helps to pay the salaries of all of our staff and clerks, and our rent, and all of that business.  It's truly amazing to me, when I sit back and think about it, that I am in this position.  I never thought I'd be here at this point.  Don't get me wrong, I always thought I would be successful -- heck, I was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in high school, and that has to mean something -- but what I've accomplished has really been beyond what I ever dreamed.       

No comments:

Post a Comment