Saturday, September 18, 2010

Project Runway is So Disappointing this Season

I love Project Runway.  I want Michael Kors and Tim Gunn to constantly walk around with me and comment on what is going on around them.  They are both just fantastic.  If I played one of those "what celebrities do you want to invite to a dinner party" games, Tim Gunn and Michael Kors would both be right up on the list.

I've watched every season except for last season (I DVR'd it, but was really busy when it was on and never got around to watching it).  And usually by this point in time -- more than halfway through -- at least a few designers pop out as being very talented, at least to me.  Even designers whose stuff I would never wear, I can at least acknowledge that they have a vision and have something to say.  (I'm talking to you, Santino.)

But this season?  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.  To the blahity blah.  The only designer who has anything is Mondo.  I've liked a number of his designs so far.  At least the guy has a point of view.  I desperately want his skirt from this week's Jackie O challenge.  Gretchen won the first two challenges with average designs, Michael C. won two challeges with average designs, Mondo won this week, Casanova won one week, and I think Andy won one week.  Like, I don't even remember who because all of the designs have been so blah.  None of the designs -- except Mondo's this week -- even stood out.  The gap between the worst and the best isn't that big.  Also, to quote Heidi, everything seems so "mall" this year.  Nothing I haven't seen before.  Nothing is fashion forward or "edgy" or for the most part, anything I would even want to wear.

It's just so odd, because usually you see some really cool stuff on Project Runway.  And the people are just abhorrent.  Ivy -- who has never won a challenge -- seems to think she is the best thing since sliced bread, when she uses a boring color pallette and hasn't done anything remotely interesting.  Gretchen seems to think she is either Tim Gunn or one of the judges.  Andy wants to do the Asian aesthetic thing rather than follow the challenges.  April is way too goth/hooker for me.  Christopher is just blah.  Michael C. is hated by the rest, and I can't quite figure out why.  Mondo is acceptable because he is so quirky and he apologized to Michael C.  Valerie talks in questions and likes zippers and piping way too much. 

Altogether, an odd season.  And I spoilered myself and looked at their lines at Fashion Week online, and let me just say -- yuck.  I didn't like any of their collections.  (So many of them lacked pants.  Thank you, Lady Gaga, for making no pants acceptable.  That is so screwed up.)

I'm ready for a new group of designers.         

1 comment:

  1. I've only seen a few episodes. I really liked that dress made from ribbons from the party store challenge. The asian guy made it I think. Andy?

    You'll love this blog ripping their stuff up when they can. Here are their PR posts: http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/search/label/Project%20Runway%20Season%208?max-results=18

    ReplyDelete