Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rules Be Damned, I’m Wearing Miniskirts After Age 35

Who came up with this rule, and why should I follow it? I’ve heard it thrown around over the years in fashion articles and by Stacy and Clinton on “What Not to Wear,” and it doesn’t make any sense to me. Why should there be an age limit on skirt length?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t intend to wear a “mini” mini skirt that barely covers my butt and seems all the rage for the 20s crowd, but why can’t I wear a skirt that lands somewhere around mid thigh after the age of 35, provided it looks good on me? Why should I have to suddenly on my birthday get rid of all of my shorter skirts and start buying skirts that hit at the knee?

I’ve noticed that Jennifer Aniston, Victoria Beckham, Heidi Klum, and Sarah Jessica Parker do not follow this rule, yet they are all regularly recognized for their fashion prowess. So, if the most fashionable ladies out there haven’t given up their miniskirts, who are these people to say it’s wrong? These so-called “fashion rules” really crack me up.

There are all kinds of them, “Fashion Don’ts Past 30,” “Fashion Don’ts Past 40,” “Fashion Don’ts Past 50.” What you don’t see are “Fashion Don’ts at 21.” If anything, the younger set seems to need more guidance on what is appropriate than the older set, yet for some reason a lot of magazine writers believe that older women can’t be trusted to dress themselves in an appropriate manner past a certain age. Do some women dress inappropriately after age 35? Sure. But I suspect they also dressed inappropriately at age 21. They’ve likely been dressing inappropriately for years. You don’t wake up the morning of your 35th birthday and lose all sense of logic. More likely, by that point you know even better than you ever did what looks good on your body.

So, rules be damned. I’m wearing my minis with tights and boots this winter.

1 comment:

  1. I hate the ageism in fashion. "What to wear in your 20s, 30s, 40s, etc" - it's insulting and it's all crap. I say wear whatever you feel most beautiful and comfortable in. We're all adults here and surely you know what's work/weekend appropriate. You can bet if my legs are still looking great at 50, I'm going to be all over a sexy cocktail dress that shows them!

    ReplyDelete