Saturday, October 9, 2010

What to Do With "Expensive" Clothes You No Longer Want

I didn't grow up rich.  I grew up pretty much standard middle class.  I remember when Guess jeans first became popular.  I was in the 7th grade, and they were $40 a pair.  At the time, that was an absurd price for jeans.  My mom was shocked that I would want such expensive jeans, but I did, all for that upside down triangle with the question mark inside on the back pocket.  I had to have those jeans.  So, she bought them for me for Christmas, and I wore the same pair to school every single day.  I never wanted for food or shelter, and my mom wanted me to be "in," so she could usually be convinced to buy some latest fashion trend, but it wasn't out of control.  Like I said, I wore the same pair of jeans every day.

Anyway, it really wasn't until I became a lawyer that I could buy more "designer" brand clothing.  Not "premier designer," but designer.  Like, Marc by Marc Jacobs versus Marc Jacobs.  Michael by Michael Kors versus Michael Kors.  You know the drill.  The "lower end but still pretty expensive" brands from the premier designers.  And still, usually, I bought them on sale.  It was a long time before I could bring myself to spend more than $100 on a dress, unless it was a dress that was so me that I absolutely had to own it.  Luckily, that does not happen very often.

Over the past six years I've gotten over this, somewhat.  I still don't own any "premier designer" clothing, but I do own quite a collection of $300-400 dresses, some of which I got for half off, some of which I paid full price.  There's a barrier that you have to get over, and damn it's hard.  Looking at a pricetag on a dress that is in the four digits or even high three digits still makes me run away.  I haven't reached the level in shoes.  I see Christian Louboutin's and I think "oh, beautiful," but then I think "$800 for a pair of shoes, are you kidding me?"  I can now easily spend $250 on a pair of shoes, but I haven't reached the next level.  I'm not sure I ever will, no matter how badly I want a pair of shoes with red soles.  It just seems so absurd to spend that much on shoes....oh, but they are so pretty.  Ugh.  Note:  I do not have this problem with purses.  No clue why, other than that I can use the purse every single day.  I'll easily drop four figures on a purse!

At any rate, and the point of this post, is that in going through my closet, I have five or six dresses that are good brands that I paid pretty good money for, that I either don't wear anymore, or I ended up never wearing.  (The never wore ones were bought on sale, luckily for a lot off purchase price, but are still $300 or so dresses originally.)  Four of them still have the tags on.  (I guess I never went to that imaginary cocktail party where I dreamed I would wear it, or never lost the five pounds I needed to wear it.)  I don't want them anymore, but it's hard to toss these types of dresses into the Salvation Army garbage bag.  I know people do this, given eBay, but I just can't do it.  My brain screams "You can't throw a $300 new with tags dress in a garbage bag and leave it to the people at Salvation Army to figure out what to do with it!"  So, I think what I might do is bring them into work and see if any of the girls there want them.  (Like I said, some are new with tags and nice brands!)  I really don't think that would be weird, but maybe it would?  

2 comments:

  1. Not weird at all. I mailed a box of good stuff to a friend in Florida when she got an office job and I cleaned out my closets. I couldn't fit into it anymore but I had spent way too much money on the stuff to have it be sold for $2 at Goodwill. At least it helped a friend who really needed some dressier clothes anyhow. Ever tried a consignment shop?

    ReplyDelete