Friday, November 19, 2010

Please Don't Remake The Wizard of Oz

Word on the street is that a remake of The Wizard of Oz is in the works. 

Why?  This movie is a classic.  What's next?  CasablancaCitizen KaneGone With the Wind?

There is no need to do this, not when we've got movie perfection as it is.  The only reason I can imagine is that someone wants to show how great they are with CG and other special effects.  I mean, sure, the flying monkeys are a bit lame, and the melting of the Wicked Witch could've been better, but why do we need anything better as far as special effects?  What are they going to do, dress up Taylor Momsen in a plaid hoody and send her down a specially enhanced 3D brick road with an iPod in her ear and a tiny dog in her Louis Vuitton bag?  (God, can you imagine the things they could do to ruin and/or update this movie?)

Remakes only lead me to believe that no one in Hollywood can come up with an original idea.  I mean, send in the freaking clowns.  Or, for that matter, have the sense to adapt a different book that is already written.  Although Return to Oz, starring Fairuza Balk, didn't do very well, L. Frank Baum wrote twelve other books about the land of Oz, including Ozma of Oz, my personal favorite.  (I read all of these when I was a kid.)  Rather than remaking The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which doesn't need remaking, why not adapt one of his other Oz books?  They're good, I swear!  Have at it!  I might even go see it.   

2 comments: