Thursday, November 11, 2010

Some Random Thoughts This Evening, 11/9

I haven't done Random Thoughts in awhile, so here goes:

1.  My fantasy team is 6-3.  This is the best record, but we are sharing it with 3 other teams.  It's a really close race to the playoffs.  We dropped both our defenses this week (Cowboys and Dolphins) and picked up the Lions and the Raiders.  While the latter may seem like not so good bets based on NFL rankings, both are getting a ton of fantasy points in my league week after week, and that is what matters to me.  I need sacks, interceptions, and defensive touchdowns.  I'm sure now that I picked them up they will both start sucking immensely, and the Cowboys and Dolphins will start making it happen.  But oh well, all dropping or adding needs to be done by Sunday, so we needed to do something with our D, and honestly, the Lions and Raiders can't be much worse than what we had. 

2.  I'm bidding farewell to my Jetta this weekend.  She's gave me a good run, but it's time, and she's going to a good home, so I have to just let it go.  I get really attached to my cars, and feel guilty when I let them go.  H informed me that I could consider it an "open adoption" and drive her when I come visit.  That made me laugh.  I love H so much. 

3.  I got my nephew a boatload of clothes from Gymboree for his birthday.  I will get him a toy or toys for Christmas.  I went to Land of Nod, and their stuff was nice, but nothing really grabbed me that day.  I may send him their toolbench for Christmas, because I did like that.  But ultimately, he got clothes, and of course Gymbo had 30% off everything the day I went in, so he got a lot more than he was supposed to get.  Although I really like what I got him, they had way cuter stuff last year, and why is 2T such a popular size there?  Jeez, everything I really wanted was sold out in his size.  At any rate, he'll be well dressed, which is Very Important.

4.  I haven't seen my mom in almost a year and a half.  I can't even believe it.  It doesn't feel like that long since I talk to her at least once a week.  So, I'm really looking forward to seeing her on Friday.  She may come here for Thanksgiving so we can shop like crazy that weekend, but we'll see.  My grandma lives with her and she doesn't know yet if she feels right leaving Grandma alone on Thanksgiving.  Since I will likely still be carless, I will probably stay here regardless of whether or not she comes.  I'm going to see everyone this weekend, so, I'm not sure it's worth another trip over in a week and a half.  We've never been a big Thanksgiving family (none of us are really big foodies -- we'll all eat whatever is put in front of us), so I might just hold off until Christmas.

5.    I'm really interested to see what is going to happen in the lame duck session of Congress, starting Monday.  Will they pass a budget?  Will they deal with the Bush tax cuts?  Although I bitch about the expiration, I don't oppose it at all if it expires for everyone.  Why should I (and others in my position) be the only ones who get hosed?  Don't we all benefit from tax dollars going to the government?  I mean, as a single person with no kids, I don't use nearly as many government resources (roads, schools, etc.) as a big old family of four.  So why should my income be taxed more?  I'm sorry that I make more money, but....yeah, I've discussed this before so I won't go into it.  It will be interesting.

6.  I'm reading Bush's Decision Points.  Yes, I bought it the day it came out.  What can I say, I'm curious.  I never hated Bush, and I always felt that he had the best interests of the country in mind, even though he may have made some wrong decisions.  With Bush, at least, you always knew where he stood on things.  I can't say the same for Obama.  I don't know what his position is on a lot of things because he keeps flipping and wishy washying it.  At any rate, I was very excited to read this book.  I'll likely report back on my thoughts once I finish. 

7.  I've focused way too much on work for the past six years.  Now I need to devote some time to the things I am passionate about like art, theatre, movies, literature, etc.  I'm not just a boring lawyer, but sometimes I feel like one.  There is so much going on in my great city, and I don't do much of it.  So, my new goal is to Get Involved and meet some new people outside of lawyerville.           

No comments:

Post a Comment