Saturday, December 4, 2010

Characters I Hate on Television Right Now

It never fails.  In any show I watch and somewhat enjoy, there is always one character that drives me insane.  It might be their cadence, their acting, their storyline, their mannerisms, their appearance, or something else.  Whatever it is, it drives me crazy, and I wish and wish and wish that the character would be written out of the show.  That never seems to happen because usually the character I can't stand is loved by all.  Oh well.  One of the most annoying characters to me ever was Willow on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Alison Hannigan's acting, mannerisms, and mouthbreathing drives me insane, and still does on How I Met Your Mother.  (She's basically a straight Willow who has given up the witchcraft and is now a schoolteacher.)  Also, as I've previously posted about more than once, I hate Sookie on True Blood, and now I also hate Tara, but since True Blood is currently on hiatus I will refrain from posting more about them for now.

So, let's talk about current shows on television:

1.  Leila on The Event.  Dumbest character ever written, who constantly does the most inane things ever.  She's just stupid, which is all the more ridiculous since she went to MIT.  I refuse to believe that someone this stupid got into and graduated from MIT.  Also, the actress is terrible.  I don't even want to take the time to look up her name.  The sad part is, I somewhat like the storyline now about the little girls being given a shot to make them older, but that storyline unfortunately involves Leila, so I can't just fast forward through her storyline.  Please, just kill her off.

2.  Jane on Survivor.  Jane is a real person, so I just want her voted off.  I do not in any way, shape, or form want her to win a million dollars or fan favorite.  She's the kind of person I would normally be rooting for, since she is the oldest woman in the game and can hold her own in the physical challenges.  Unfortunately, she's utterly delusional, a huge conspiracy theorist, and way too impressed with herself.  Also, she always looks dirty.  I realize this is Survivor so they are on an island and without the usual luxuries, but no one else ever looks as dirty as Jane.  At tribal council each week her face literally looks caked with dirt.  I'm going to cheering when Probst puts out her torch.

3.  Temperance Brennan, a.k.a. Bones on Bones.  Yeah, I can't stand the lead character on the show anymore.  I used to like Brennan.  She was brilliant and quirky.  Now she acts like a person who is mentally deficient when placed in any sort of social position.  She doesn't understand jokes that she would've in the past understood, and has basically taken a sled ride to the bottom of the hill in terms of character.  And I don't know, but Emily Deschanel's acting is so wooden that it makes it all the worse.  I'm actually thrilled that Bones and Booth didn't get together, and love Booth's new girlfriend, Hannah.  Sorry, Bones.

4.  Jaden on Nikita.  She's supposed to be the foil to Alex, but Alex always outsmarts her.  So...basically she's useless.  (Although, that could be said for the entire show, since Nikita always seems to outsmart the entire Division week after week, even though they are supposed to be so smart and powerful.)  But what the point is an enemy when the alleged good guy always wins out?  That's no fun. 

5.  Charlie on It's Always Sunny in Philadephia.  Three words:  Tone It Down.  Charlie used to be the loveable idiot on the show.  He was amusing and goofy.  Now every line is a hugely overacted shriek.  Not entertaining or funny. 

6.  Emily on Criminal Minds.  She does nothing, other than an occasional interview of a female victim.  Paget Brewster stands around looking bored.  I hear they are writing her off this season.  Good, get on with it. 

That's all I can think of right now, but those are the main ones.  I used to hate Deb on Dexter, but she hasn't quite risen to the level of truly annoying this season yet.  I don't know why I even continue to watch some of these shows, other than that my DVR keeps recording them.  If I didn't have DVR, I would never watch them.                                        

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree. And i despised Deb. I am currently watching Bones, i want to slap Brennan half the time. How come they never tell her when she makes the rudest thoughtless cold remarks. They just think its amusing and cute. Its not. Its like shes autistic but shes not, just rude. Kind but rude. If i wasnt running out of shows to watch, I wouldnt have gotten past 2 episodes. Booth, i like.

    Criminal Minds-only females I can stand is JJ and Penelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. And i despised Deb. I am currently watching Bones, i want to slap Brennan half the time. How come they never tell her when she makes the rudest thoughtless cold remarks. They just think its amusing and cute. Its not. Its like shes autistic but shes not, just rude. Kind but rude. If i wasnt running out of shows to watch, I wouldnt have gotten past 2 episodes. Booth, i like.

    Criminal Minds-only females I can stand is JJ and Penelope.

    ReplyDelete