Friday, February 11, 2011

The Doorman and The Painting

I think I discussed previously that one of the doorman in my building at work bought me a painting.  Not a small painting, but about a 24" x 36" painting.  (I'm eyeballing it, and I think that's about right.)  It's a nice painting and I like it a lot, but the entire thing was extremely weird.  To be honest, I didn't know how to react, so I just thanked him and took it home.  I've got it hanging in my dining room because I do like the painting, but overall...weird.  This is a guy I see daily and say hi and all that, but we're not like buddies or anything, and I don't share a whole lot about my life with him, although I think I've mentioned that I like art and whatnot over smalltalk.  That's why the painting thing evolved, I think.  Also, he's very unattractive.  My secretary thought he was a woman, although she isn't very smart.  So, I accepted the painting graciously (because I didn't know what else to do), and took it home and put it up.

Well now he's telling me that he has a new painting for me.  (He told me this at the end of last year, since I really haven't been in the office much this year.)  He's apparently looking for the "right frame" before giving it to me.  I mean, what the hell?  This is making me very uncomfortable.  Why is this guy buying me paintings?  It's not that I don't appreciate the gesture, but....it's weird.  It really is.  I don't want him spending money on me, even though my firm gives him a very nice Christmas bonus every year.  I've tried to avoid any smalltalk since the giving of the first painting so as to not give him the wrong idea, but he isn't getting the idea.  He makes me uncomfortable at this point with the "gifts."  But I don't want to get him fired or anything.  I just want him to stop shouting my name across the lobby (of a huge office building) when he sees me enter from the other end, and I want him to stop buying me paintings.

I'm honestly already dreading seeing him on Monday because he's going to be like "Where were you!  I haven't seen you in so long!  I love your shoes!"  He's a weird dude.  He always compliments my clothes, me, my shoes, my smile.  Jesus.  If only he were a hot billionaire. 

I swear, this stupid shit stresses me out so much.  I am not a mean person, but I don't know what to do about this.   

3 comments:

  1. You are so cute! I've been reading you too! Weekend was so hectic I couldn't comment like I wanted. I changed a few things on my blog but other people have been able to comment so, I don't know what's going on. Have you tried commenting on another blog? Let me know.

    Now this doorman thing is just getting to be a bit much. I hate having to avoid people who don't understand boundaries.
    Maybe tell him thank you but you just don't have the room? Of course he'll insist anyhow.
    Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd tell the doorman that you're really not comfortable with him spending money on gifts for you, and that you feel it's inappropriate to accept them. If he asks why you accepted the first one, just say that it caught you off guard and offer to return it if he wants even though you love it. It should, hopefully, establish boundries without making it too weird.

    There really should be a class for socially awkward people to take, shouldn't there?

    Congrats on the trial win by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally wish there was a class for socially awkward people. The whole situation is so weird, and his mannerisms and everything. ("Oh, were you on a little vacation?" "No, I was at trial!") The problem is I have to see him regularly, so I have to handle it carefully.

    ReplyDelete