Friday, February 18, 2011

I Wish All These Alderman Candidates Would Stop Calling Me

February 22 is a big election day here in Chicago.  Not only do we get to vote for a new Mayor, but we get to vote for new Alderman.  Alderman represent the various neighborhoods here in the city.  My current Alderman (who is actually a woman, but Alderwoman sounds kind of funny to write) is retiring, so there is a big race of about six candidates vying for her seat.

Every one of them has called me numerous times over the past two weeks.  Not them specifically, but their voice recording or someone campaigning on behalf of them.  They are calling on my cellphone, which makes me extremely irate, and the number they are calling from is usually 00000000.  Oh, I see.  You get to block your number?  I don't understand this.  How did they get my cellphone number?  I have a landline home number, which I could see them having access to, but how and where did they get my cell phone number, and when did I give them permission to call me on it incessantly?

Also, if campaign calls are exempt from the do not call list, there really needs to be some limit.  When you have six candidates all calling multiple times, in addition to calls from the Mayoral candidates, it turns into a massive annoyance.  I am getting 3-4 calls per day now.  At this point, I don't want to vote for any of them.  Add to that coming home to flyers all over my front door (or blowing around in the breeze outside of my place, littering it all up) every day, and the candidates (or their minions) knocking on my door all weekend and in the evenings to talk to me, and I am not a happy camper.

I understand the need to campaign and get the word out, but it's complete overkill.  I will be so happy on February 23 when all of this is over.  I still don't know which candidate to vote for, even with all of this campaigning.  They all seem the same.  What I want to know is who is going to get small businesses back into Lincoln Park to take over all of the empty storefronts on Clark, Lincoln, Armitage, and Halsted?  One candidate seems very interested in that, but she is more focused on Clark, which is not near where I live.  I'm greedy.  I want new businesses where I live, not on the other side of the neighborhood.  But still, she may be the best choice in that regard.  We'll see, I guess...     

No comments:

Post a Comment