Friday, February 4, 2011

You Know What Excuses I Hate?

As a single person without kids, I mean.  I hate these excuses:  "My husband/wife will divorce me if I don't come home this weekend."  "My kids won't remember who I am if I don't come home this weekend."

Please.  Really?  Your spouse will divorce you?  Your kids won't remember you if you aren't home for two or three fucking weeks?  I don't get to make these excuses.  My only excuse is that my 30 year old furnace might have gone out, so I should get the hell home to check up on it.  Also, I'm wondering just how much snow is blocking my front door in Chicago right now.  I'm also wondering if the USPS really put my mail on hold.

Yes, I'm still here at trial.  Out of town.  For two and a half weeks.  We had no court on Wednesday due to the snow (I'm in Detroit), and only a half day Thursday, and no court Friday, due to the Judge's prior obligations.  So, all of this is treading along as slowly as molasses.  We hope to be done with proofs by Tuesday morning, closing arguments Tuesday after lunch, then charging the jury.  I anticipate going home by Wednesday night.

Home feels very far away now, since I've been in this hotel room for so long, and have been working basically 16-20 hour days for the past two and a half weeks.  My entire life is this client, this trial.  I'm about to go batshit insane.  Either that or I might shove a fork in my eye so I can get the hell out of here.  Also, I've gained about 7 or 8 pounds because all we eat is crap and big meals.  I don't normally eat heavy, but we are constantly ordering in lunch and dinner and eating Detroit coney dogs, and this whole turn of events is not making me particularly happy either.

So, pretty much the entire trial team except for my secretary, our paralegal, and myself went home for the weekend.  They are supposed to come back on Sunday, but we'll see what time they arrive.  This means that Sunday night is going to turn into a debacle, and I am not looking forward to that.  The reason I didn't go home was because I knew if I got home I would (a) not want to go into the office; and (b) not want to do any work period.  At least by staying here, I just continue  the misery.  Also, I can see some of my friends and family, so that works.  I wrote a judgment as a matter of law opposition, and our two motions for judgment as a matter of law today, which we will file on Tuesday.  It's fucking miserable, and if I don't answer my phone immediately there is panic.  I mean, I can't even go to the bathroom.

Honestly, the only thing keeping me going is looking at the hours I'm billing and the money I will make after nearly a month of misery and nonstop work.  I'm not sure anymore what life will be like when I get home from this trial.  It's hard to "turn it off," and there will be judgments not withstanding the verdict to file, as well as appeal briefs, because this is going up on appeal no matter what happens with the jury, given things that happened earlier in the case.  Ugh.

All I can say is...I can't wait to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment