Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Forgot My Phone Today

Why does leaving my house without my cell phone send me into such a sense of panic?

I lived twenty five years of my life without a cell phone.  (Yes, I was a very late adopter.  I hate talking on the phone, and the very idea that anyone should be able to reach me at any time was alarming.)  Nothing horrible happened to me during my pre-cell phone years.  Of course, back then you could find a pay phone if you really needed to reach someone.  Also, back then I actually knew all of my friend's and family's phone numbers.  Now the only phone numbers I know by heart are my mom's home phone and my office phone number.  I don't even know what my own home phone number is, but it is written down on a Post-It somewhere in my house.

Anyway, today I accidentally left my cell phone at home, and despite that I am sitting right next to a phone in my office, it's kind of making me nervous.  Anyone who desperately needed to reach me could and would call my office if I didn't respond on my cell phone.  Still, this is making me very uncomfortable.  Let's hope I can make it home without any mishaps. 

3 comments:

  1. My job is basically an "on call" position, so I have to be attached to my phone 24-7 until I hit my days off. And so sometimes, on my days off, I like to leave my phone at home for hours because it feels really freeing to know that NO ONE can reach me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't know how you do it, but I guess every job out there requires some sacrifice. I'm with you on it being nice to get away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete