Friday, March 4, 2011

I Hate the IT Guys

The IT guys at my firm regularly fuck everything up.  I know their job is hard and all that, but it is just constant.  This or that is down, we're out of network space, you can't connect to this or that.  Ugh.  We -- like most firms -- have the ability to load up our laptops with the appropriate "stuff" to access e-mail and the network from home or on the road.  I avoided doing this because I didn't want to give the tech guys my laptop so they could mess around with it.  When I do work from home, it's quick and dirty to copy what I need onto a thumb drive, take it home, and then bring it back to work on the thumb drive.  Obviously using the network is better, but this works fine.  Usually I'm just drafting a brief or reviewing transcripts or documents anyway.  If I need to send an e-mail, I can do it from my phone.  No big deal. 

However, when I went to trial, I had to get my laptop set up to access the network in our war room, which meant I had to get the whole shebang.  I thought no big deal, most of the other attorneys have done it, so whatever.  How bad can it be?

Let me tell you.

First of all, they deleted my McAfee anti-virus and loaded me up with a whole bunch of other stuff, like Avast, Malwarebytes, and I don't even know what else.  But it doesn't appear that I have the full versions of these -- I've got the free versions.  Why would I want that when I am paying for the full version of McAfee?  McAfee has treated me fine, and I've had no issues.  Why would they delete it?  What's bad about this is that I have no idea how these various anti-virus software work, how they work together, why I need all of them, and how to change the settings.  This is important because...

When I try to access certain Internet sites, and to comment on certain blogs (ahem), I get a "Internet Explorer cannot display this site" message box, then it "blings!" then it shuts the window.  This is either an Internet Explorer issue or a firewall issue.  And there is no rhyme or reason to it, at least that I can see. 

All I know is that I didn't have these problems before they messed around with my computer, and from what I can tell based on my vast research of the Internet, this shouldn't be happening with Internet Explorer 8, which I have.  What pisses me off the most is that I don't even know what all they loaded on my computer or why.  Back in the day, I used to be quite adept at computer stuff.  Hell, I even used to go into regedit and change shit.  However, now that is all but a faint memory, so if I devoted a whole bunch of time to this I could probably fix it myself, but why should I have to do that?  My solution is going to have to be handing my laptop back over to them.  This is how the conversation usually goes with them:

Anyone at the Firm:  I'm having X problem with my computer.

Them:  That shouldn't be happening.  I have no idea why that's happening.  Are you sure?

It is happening!  And you did it!  ARGH!  I'm so mad.  Maybe I should just skip over them and get a new laptop.  This one is a few years old anyway.        

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how computer savy you are but I would uninstall those anti-virus things (control panel - programs - uninstall) and either reinstall your McAfee or install AVG's free edition. It updates and scans on a schedule you set. LOVE IT!

    Also, I heard that IE is going to update soon but really, have you thought about using Firefox instead? It's a lot faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefox might be a good plan -- thanks for the idea. I'm afraid to start uninstalling things when I didn't install them myself, if that makes any sense. I'm so pissed at these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have let them have the laptop in the first place when they asked for it. Instead you 'avoided doing this because I didn't want to give the tech guys my laptop so they could mess around with it'. I doing so you messed up their work schedule. Now you are taking random advise on changing your laptop from comments on your blog.

    Let me tell you that you are the kind of person who IT guys hate, a would be know it all with no respect for their work role, no understanding of how your actions have caused risks to everyone you work with and a blame someone else attitude.

    If the world worked perfectly you would be fired.

    Sounds like you virused your laptop in the past (busy being busy?).

    And 'free' anti virus software that never updated it's signatures is the probable reason your laptop got virused in the first place.

    They probably dread you as the one who moans and pisses but is always too 'busy' and impatient to do their work.

    I read your post about your secretary also and in general you come across as a vile human being.

    ReplyDelete