Friday, March 4, 2011

The Next Winter Fashion Shopping Extravaganza

I like a deal.  It doesn't matter to me that I have the money now to buy pretty much any fashion I want to buy (within some reason).  I still like a deal, and it still makes me shudder a bit to spend $500 on a pair of shoes or a coat.

So, this is the time of year where I stock up for next winter. 

I desperately needed new winter snow boots this year.  I have three pairs -- a pair of Uggs that I bought in 2005, a pair of Coach boots that I bought in 2008, and another random pair of black/sheepskin boots that I bought in around 2007.  They are all shot.  In the winter, I wear boots every single day walking to and from the train, and bring my heels in a bag with me to work.  All winter I kept thinking about how I desperately needed new boots, but I never bought any.  I don't know why.  I just didn't.  And although my boots don't look so great anymore, they do the job.

So, a couple of weeks ago I "accidentally" stumbled upon the Tory Burch website, and low and behold, all of her winter boots were at least 50% off.  Some as much as 60% off.  This is a good deal for Tory Burch, which is one of my favorite shoe brands these days.  I bought two pairs of black snow winter boots for next year for around $300.  I can't link to them here, but they are black, one with sherling lining, one with rabbit fur, and super cute.  I'm all set for next year, and I can thankfully toss the Uggs and the other pair.  (The Coach ones still have some time left in them...)  And in November, when the snow hits, I won't have to look at those crappy boots and think "Ugh!  I need new boots!"  I'll just pull out my brand new Tory Burch boots and be on my way and stylish to boot.  (Hardy har har.) 

This is what I do.  I stock up on things I know I need for next year at the end of the season when everything is super cheap and on sale.  I do this for summer and spring, too.  But it has to be a classic/not trendy type of thing in order for this to work.  It may not be as much fun, but what do I care about wearing the "right this season" design?  I mean, I live in Chicago.  No one here cares.  No one here knows -- least of all most of the people I see at work or standing on the el platform.  I also could use a new black wool coat, because I'm not wild anymore about the two I have anymore (one is a 60s vintage coat, and the other is a Calvin Klein I bought a couple of years ago), so I've got my eye out for something cute in that department as well....also...new black turtlenecks.  Cheap.  I wear them all winter, so they will be used. 

1 comment:

  1. Do the exact same thing for basics and stuff I know I'll always love! Yay boots!

    ReplyDelete