Tuesday, April 26, 2011

101 Things About Me

My Milk Glass Heart did hers, and I thought it was cool, so I'm doing mine.  This was very hard and took awhile to think of things.  It may be self indulgent, but maybe you'll learn a little more about me.

1. My favorite movie of all time is Reservoir Dogs.

2. My favorite book of all time is Catcher in the Rye.

3. One of my favorite albums from front to back is Alice in Chains, Dirt.

4. One of the only foods I truly hate is bananas.

5. Once during a deposition an opposing attorney started eating a banana and I gagged on the video record. It was embarrassing.

6. The first premier designer purse I ever bought was a Louis Vuitton Batignolles – when I was 30.

7. My first job, at age 13, was cleaning locker rooms at a gym – showers, sinks, vacuuming, I did it all. I got paid $1.75 an hour to do it.

8. My second job, during most of high school, was working at Wendy’s. I worked the drive thru register because I was the only one who could do the math in my head to make change during rush hours. (This was before computers were popular in that business.) I often worked three or four weeknights a week from 4 until close, which was 1 or 2 a.m.

9. The only job at Wendy’s I wouldn’t do was clean the bathrooms, because I vomited when I tried to do it.

10. I graduated #5 in my high school class.

11. I was voted “Most Likely To Succeed” by my high school class, and in the yearbook picture for that, I swiped a $100 bill from my dad and wore Z-Cavaricci black pants and an IOU sweatshirt. This was in style at the time.

12. I worked at a foot doctor for awhile also during high school, doing receptionist and aid type work. I used to have to bathe old people’s feet in this weird tub, and then clean all the dead skin out of the tub. I hated that job.

13. I hate attending any type of shower -- baby or wedding. I find them incredibly boring, no matter how much I adore the friend who is the guest of honor at the shower.

14. Another favorite front to back album is U2, Joshua Tree.

15. One of my favorite bands to see live is Metallica.

16. My first car was a 1979 Mustang that my dad bought from a friend for $250. It only had an a.m. radio, so I had a jam box in the front seat from which to play cassette tapes. We put 5.0 stickers on the side of it, even though it was not a 5.0

17. My first semester in college I got a C in Calculus and thought my life was over. I had never gotten a C in my entire life. My mom talked me off the cliff.

18. My dad died when I was 19.

19. My grandfather started a manufacturing business in the 1960s, even though he only had a ninth grade education. It’s still in business, and they make nuts and fasteners, and supply to many huge companies. Despite my engineering degree and manufacturing focus in that degree, I have never been offered a job there by my uncle, who runs the business now. All three of my cousins (his kids) work there. None of them have the qualifications that I do. My brother works there, and he is the same type of manufacturing genius that my grandfather was. If he leaves, the business will not succeed.

20. I really don’t have any interest in working in the family business anyway.

21. I was a coxswain at my high school my sophomore year for the boys rowing team, and the only girl on the team.

22. I sometimes had to stay with the opposing girls’ teams when we travelled because they had nowhere for me to sleep or shower with my team.

23. My junior year in high school, I started a girls rowing team.

24. I rowed “stroke” position in the girls varsity eight, lightweight eight, and lightweight four, and was voted MVP. I also still coxswained for the boys when they needed me.

25. Rowing was one of the greatest joys of my life, and I would love to get back into it. I still have all my medals.

26. I’m the slowest runner ever, and I hate running. When we used to have to run a “city,” during rowing practice days, which was 11 miles, and I always came in last. Half the team have gone home by the time I finished.

27. The first new car I bought was a 1993 Plymouth Laser. It was dark green with gold rims.

28. When I was 24 years old, I packed everything I could fit into my 1996 Celica and moved from Detroit to Los Angeles, driving it cross country alone.

29. When I was 27 years old, I hired a moving company for my stuff, and drove my 2001 Jetta from Los Angeles to Chicago, and moved there, again driving cross country alone.

30. The moving company arrived in Chicago with my things late in the evening the day of the Gay Pride Parade. I was hammered after partying all day and had to call my ex-boyfriend to come over and help me deal with the movers while I threw up in the bathroom. (Not a proud moment…)

31. I worked as a management consultant at Andersen Consulting/Accenture from 1996 through 2001, and then quit my job and dropped everything to move to Chicago to go to law school. My mother thought I was insane.

32. The first Stephen King book I ever read was Thinner. I was ten. The librarian called my mom to make sure it was okay for me to check out Stephen King. My mom said okay because she had no idea who Stephen King was and what he wrote. She didn’t care as long as I was reading.

33. When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike to the library with an enormous backpack. I would check out ten books at a time. The library had to get my mom’s permission for me to check out so many books at once. I read really fast.

34. I’ve never had any interest in getting married.

35. I am a complete true crime book fanatic. I will read anything about serial killers or mass murderers.

36. My college graduation present to myself was a 1996 25th anniversary edition black Toyota Celica. I couldn’t believe they gave me financing based only on my job offer letter from Accenture (then Andersen Consulting.)

37. I paid off my Celica in three years, due to the overtime I worked at Andersen.

38. While working at Andersen, I lived (had an apartment in) Toronto, Minneapolis, San Diego, and San Francisco. I also travelled to Paris, Denver, La Crosse, WI, New Orleans, Boston, Washington D.C., and Kansas City. It was a fun job for awhile.

39. When I worked in Toronto, the first night I got there, I was staying at the Marriott near the Dundas subway stop. I had just spent hours at the airport getting my work visa approved. The fire alarm went off in the hotel at around three in the morning. I grabbed my passport with my work visa and ran down 20 flights of stairs. It was a false alarm. My coworkers the next day informed me that they all stayed in bed.

40. My favorite pop is Mountain Dew in a glass bottle, which I can’t find anywhere anymore.

41. One of the things I miss most about California is Rubio’s fish tacos. When I go there now for work, the first thing I do is go to Rubio’s.

42. I rarely read fiction anymore. Historical non-fiction is way more interesting than anything anyone can make up.

43. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are two of my favorite television shows of all time.

44. I think The Golden Girls is one of the funniest sitcoms ever.

45. I was a huge fan of Edward Norton for awhile; now I kind of think he seems like a douche.

46. I have a weird obsession with Blink-182 and all of their spin-off bands like +44 and Angels and Airwaves.

47. I do not like being underwater; hence I will never snorkel or scuba dive.

48. I’m half Polish.

49. I don’t drink hard liquor at all, due to some bad experiences with it in the past. (See No. 30).

50. I have a twin brother.

51. I’ve been to the Bahamas once, when I was a junior in high school, and have no desire to go back to the Caribbean.

52. I’ve been to Cancun once, and have no desire to go back to Mexico.

53. I really prefer to travel in the United States. There is a lot to see here.

54. I’ve been all around England, France, and Spain. It was beautiful and I enjoyed it.  I would go back there.  I would also go to Italy and Germany.  Maybe Poland someday, but since many people there don't speak English, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

55. The best thing I can say about one of my ex boyfriends is that he introduced me to The National.

56. I didn’t have a microwave from the time I moved out of my mom’s house until I bought my own house – from 1996 until 2009. I never missed it.

57. I’ve had a four year relationship, a two and a half year relationship, a nine month relationship, and a six month relationship.  Other than that, I've been on a lot of first, second, and third dates.

58. I’m much too practical.

59. Even though I’m a Republican, I think Sarah Palin is an idiot. I hate her folksy way of speaking because it feels incredibly pandering to me.

60. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is one of my favorite books.

61. I’m afraid of heights.

62. And the Band Played On is one of the most interesting and amazing books I’ve ever read.

63. I’ve found that when I stay at home rather than go out, I don’t miss much.

64. I inherited terribly frizzy hair from my mom. Both of my sisters have it also, and we found that to resolve the problem we can use a straightener made for black people’s hair, which gets much hotter than your average straightener.

65. I hate getting my hair cut.

66. I hate getting massages or anything spa related.

67. I really enjoy smoking, even though I know it will kill me.

68. I don’t understand why actors and athletes are given such god-like status in our society.

69. I’ve been on medication for high blood pressure since I was 26.

70. I have a really hard time finding pants that fit me properly, since I have a relatively thin waist and carry any excess weight in my hips. Curvy fit jeans are my best friend. Therefore, I wear a lot of dresses and skirts.

71. I’ve finally had to accept that I can no longer wear heels higher than 3 inches.

72. My favorite color is green.

73. I own eight Louis Vuitton purses, 1 Fendi, 2 Gucci, 1 Versace, and 2 Dior.

74. Gladstone’s in Malibu is one of my favorite restaurants.

75. My two week old niece dying is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

76. I’m still friends with one of my ex boyfriends, and see him and his wife and kids regularly.

77. Blue cheese is my favorite cheese.

78. My favorite sub is Italian sub.

79. My favorite fast food restaurant is Taco Bell. I could eat there every meal, every day for the rest of my life.

80. I prefer a divey bar to a fancy restaurant, all things considered.

81. I’m obsessed with NFL football. Sundays during football season I am either at Soldier Field or camped out on my couch in front of Direct TV Sunday Ticket.

82. David Duvall is one of my favorite golfers, and I wish he would make a comeback.

83. I graduated from law school with “High Honors.” I barely missed Order of the Coif. If one B had been an A, I would’ve been there.

84. I worked for a summer at a personal injury law firm and considered quitting law school because I hated it so much.

85. I had an externship with a Judge in the Northern District of Illinois while in law school.

86. I love Family Guy and South Park. Cartman is my favorite character.

87. I don’t like cooking because it makes a mess and I don’t have the patience.  My mom thinks this means I don't know how to cook.  It doesn't.  I can cook, I just don't like to do it.

88. Whenever I go into a public restroom, the smell makes me gag.

89. I never drank coffee until I started working at a law firm. Now I drink multiple cups every day.

90. My vision is -5.75 in my left eye and -5.25 in my right. I wear contacts.

91. I thought I would stop getting zits at some point, but at the age of 36, I still get them. I worry that I will someday be 80 years old with a huge zit on my chin.

92. I don’t have any tattoos.

93. I DVR Judge Judy every day. Love her.

94. I am 5’6”.

95. I wear a size 8 shoe.

96. I’m not sure what my natural hair color is. I’ve been dyeing it since I was 14.

97. I watch way too much reality TV, and as much as I hate the entire concept of it and the fame it creates for its participants, I keep watching it.

98. I’m not sure if I believe in God.

99. I worked at Honda in East Liberty, OH for a summer during college.  I wore a white polyester shirt with my my name embroidered on it in red, horribly stiff white polyster pants, steel toed shoes, and safety goggles, which is what everyone who works at the plant wears.  When I left I stole one of the five uniforms that was assigned to me, and I still have it. 

100. I think the last ten minutes of the series finale of Six Feet Under is quite possibly the best TV I’ve ever seen.

101. I can't keep straight many of the young actors today; they all look the same to me.  This officially means I'm old.

1 comment:

  1. This was fantastic to read! We have so much in common it's ridiculous (other than all the traveling)! I tried listing stuff but it was just tooo much!

    The mundane little things are the most fun about a person sometimes!

    ReplyDelete