Monday, April 25, 2011

Annoying Things At Fast Food Restaurants

The introduction of the value meal has caused great confusion among fast food restaurant employees.  They simply cannot seem to grasp that you may just want a burger and a fry, but no drink.  Or a burger and a drink with no fry.  Yes, sometimes it costs an extra quarter to subtract the fry or the drink, but I don't care about the quarter.  If I don't want a drink or a fry, I don't want it, so please stop trying to force it on me.

This is what happened to me at Wendy's a few weeks ago, when I was going through the drive thru:

Me:  I'd like a single cheeseburger and a small fry.
Speaker:  What would you like to drink?
Me:  Nothing.  Just a single cheeseburger and a small fry.
Speaker:  Sprite?
Me:  No, no drink!
Speaker:  I have a single cheeseburger value meal with a Sprite.  (Note:  this is what the monitor said also.)
Me (yelling):  No!  No drink!  A single cheeseburger and a small fry!  That's it!
Speaker:  Please pull up.

Was my order complicated?  I don't think so.  So, I pull up, really annoyed.  The manager was at the window.

Manager:  You want a single value meal with a Sprite?
Me:  No, I just want a single cheeseburger and a small fry.  That's it.
Manager:  You'll save money if you get the drink.
Me:  I don't want the drink and I don't want the medium fry that comes with the meal.  I just want a single cheeseburger and a small fry.
Manager:  It's cheaper to get the meal.
Me:  I don't care!

The manager looked at me like I was a crazy person.  Maybe I am a crazy person. 

Then there's Arby's.  If you order a value meal there, they ask you "medium or large"?  It's a little known fact that "small" is also an option -- they just don't offer it to you.  The "small" is in fact about the size of what a "medium" used to be.  The "medium" is now a "large" and the "large" is enormous.  No wonder so many people are obese in this country.

Then there's Burger King.  While driving home from my sister's yesterday, I stopped at a Burger King to get some lunch.  I ordered a junior cheeseburger and a medium onion ring.  Everywhere I've ever been -- including Burger King in the past -- a junior cheeseburger comes with ketchup, mustard, and pickle.  Sometimes onions.  That's it.  It took around fifteen minutes to get my food even though there were eight workers lingering around the food stations in the back, and virtually no other customers.  (I went inside to order.)  Once I was in my car speeding down the highway, I opened my supposed junior cheeseburger, and it was a junior whopper with cheese.  I didn't order a junior whopper with cheese, nor did I want a junior whopper with cheese due to the mess factor of the mayonnaise and lettuce.  I ate it anyway, because what was I supposed to do at that point?  But is it really that hard to get it right?      

2 comments:

  1. The employees are idiots. Same thing happens to me. Why am I going to order a drink when I'm going home and have a fridge full of drinks?

    I can't stand Burger King anymore. At least the last 3 times I've gone through the drive through, they've asked me to pull to the side and wait for them to walk my order out to me. What? You don't have any fries or cheeseburgers ready around lunch time? Insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally never order a drink b/c I don't drink soda. When they try to push a "meal" on me by telling me it's cheaper, I say, "Fine, sell me a meal, but don't give me a soda." And yes, they look at me like I've suddenly grown two additional heads.

    ReplyDelete