Saturday, April 9, 2011

Glenn Beck - Arguing With Idiots

I just finished reading this:

Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government


Now, before you judge me, know that I only paid $4 for it at Border's.  I've never watched his show, and I think I've only listened to him on the radio once or twice, and it wasn't on purpose.  I listen to a lot of talk radio when I drive, and I think I've stumbled across his show occasionally.  All I've ever heard about him is what an asshole he is, and all of that business, although I personally never really had any opinion of him. 
 
Part of the reason I bought the book was because a few weeks ago they had a bunch of them, and some Border's employee (who is soon to be out of a job) had posted on the sign below the books "He's the idiot!"  When I saw that comment at the time, it annoyed the hell out of me, but the book wasn't cheap enough yet.  Over the past week, the book is now cheap enough -- and there were only three left.  So, I bought it.  
 
I have to say, it wasn't a bad read, and I read it really fast.  He disparages both the Democrats and the Republicans fairly equally, and I kind of agreed with a lot of what he has to say.  (He claims to be a Libertarian -- I'm probably a Republican/Libertarian, so that wasn't too surprising.)  The best part of the book is the very last chapter, where he goes through the entire Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  I hadn't read either since I was in Constitutional Law class, and it was a nice reminder about how limited our federal government should really be, and how many lines have been crossed.  Obviously I don't know if everything he said is true, although there is a thick citations section at the end of the book.  I don't take anything on face value from anyone in the media, so I will do some of my own research.  But, I have to say that I was quite pleasantly surprised by this book.  And I don't think he seems like an asshole.  

2 comments:

  1. He gets to be a bit much on his radio show and the wee bit I've seen from him on TV. He's deeply aligned with the Tea Party so, I can't take anything for face value either since there are too many moral issues influencing them as well.

    I'm a rabid Constitutionalist. Our government has become so bloated, no wonder we're in such a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I was surprised about his book. It really was pretty good, and I have a pretty good bullshit radar.

    ReplyDelete