Wednesday, April 6, 2011

So Sick of Celebrity Abuse Stories

I feel like every time I turn around another celebrity is coming forward with some story of abuse. They were molested, they were beaten, they were bullied, they suffered domestic violence, they were abandoned, there was Some Huge Tragedy that occurred.

Usually it’s right around the time they are trying to convince people to buy their memoir or go see their latest movie.

This week it’s Ashley Judd. In the past it’s been Meredith Baxter Birney, Oprah, Roseanne, Mo’Nique, Mackenzie Phillips, Tatum O’Neal, Tyler Perry, Teri Hatcher, Missy Elliott, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Queen Latifah, Anne Heche, Rosie O’Donnell, Charlize Theron, Catherine Oxenberg, Alison Arngrim (Nellie on Little House), and the list goes on and on and on.

These “I’m going to tell my story to help others” interviews really irritate me for some reason. If you were really trying to help others who might be in your position, there are other ways to do it. Why wait to come forward until you want people to buy your book? I guess I don’t disagree that hearing that someone else (particularly a successful celebrity) went through what you went through might be helpful to some people. But…it feels like every single celebrity these days throws out some sort of personal tragedy the first chance they get. Hell, even Lady Gaga had to inform us that she had to (gasp!) live among cockroaches.  I mean, realisitically haven't most people gone through something tragic throughout the course of their lives?  It's probably a rare life where everything goes 100% your way.  But that doesn't mean it all has to be a life changing event.  (I don't dispute that some tragedies are worse than others by any means, and am not trying to make light of claims of abuse, but the way these stories become public seems awfully planned out and suspicious most of the time.) 

Are there any celebrities who had a fairly normal childhood, or is abuse a prerequisite to being successful? You know, someone who just grew up a regular middle class kid, then made their way to Hollywood and struck it big? I would really love to hear a celebrity say "You know what?  I've had an awesome life.  Sure, I got bullied occassionally as a kid, but who doesn't?  And yes, my parents spanked me a few times when I misbehaved, but I deserved it.  Oh, and now I make millions to film a movie.  Nothing to complain about here."  I'm sure there are celebrities out there who have said such things -- they can't all have major issues, right?    

No comments:

Post a Comment