Sunday, May 22, 2011

I Will Soon Be Completely Alone

My roommate is moving out next weekend, Memorial Day weekend.

Bet you didn't know I had a roommate, did you?  Well, she's not a roommate in the traditional sense of the word.  What happened was, when I was getting ready to close on my place back in summer of 2009, she was looking to get out of her roommate situation, and her company was getting ready to send her out of town for a long while on a consulting assignment.  So, the deal was, she gets to move all her furniture in, and pay me rent, and have a place to stay for the one weekend a month she was allowed to come back to Chicago.  So, I have a roommate, but I don't, really. 

She's only been here one weekend a month -- if that, because sometimes she goes other places -- for the past year and a half.  And I've had the added bonus of not having to rush to furnish my basement and extra bedroom.  (When I moved in, I would've had to do all of that, since I moved into a much bigger place than I moved out of.)  We get along great (she's one of my good friends from law school), so it has worked out fine, and was a win/win for the both of us, since I charged her much less to store her stuff than any other "landlord" would have.  Plus, I got to use her Wii.  Now I have to buy my own.  Boo. 

So, she has decided to move to the location of her consulting gig, at least for the foreseeable future, so she is moving out.  The timing is right, since I am ready now to furnish the rest of my place.  I will miss her a lot, but I'm practical and this is a great career move for her.  (I am all about career, in case you haven't noticed.)

However.

This means I get to spend Memorial Day weekend in a cluster fuck with her and her mother (who is coming up from Florida) packing her things, getting Salvation Army over here to pick up her furniture that she doesn't want to take (and I don't want) and the whole debacle of moving.  I absolutely hate moving.  I was ready to kill myself when I moved into here it was such a pain in the butt.  Putting everything you own into a box takes a lot more boxes than you realize.  A lot more.  And everything needs to go into a box for a cross country move.  I know; I did it back in 2001.

So, after next weekend, I will have an empty basement and an empty second bedroom.  I can't furnish either until my bathroom and painting and carpet is done, so it'll be about August before my house is truly a home.  Once again. 

She has informed me that "Oh, I'm not giving you back your key!" so, I will have guests in the future.  But, that's okay.  I'm going to miss her a lot.  Even though she was usually out of town, I always knew she was coming back to hang for a weekend.  While she will be back sporadically through the end of the year (for Lollapalooza and work stuff as she transitions out of the Chicago office), and will be staying here, it won't be quite the same.  This just means she and I will have to take some vacations together, so I guess it's not all bad.  I hate it when friends move away.     

1 comment:

  1. Awww that's so sweet! I had no idea you had a roommate... of sorts.

    Omg moving is the absolute worst. I've done it a couple times myself and I too many times for friends. Totally done helping others. No one has anything packed when you show up, other "helpers" do nothing. Forget it.

    ReplyDelete