Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lots of Cops in Chicago Near Rush and Division Tonight

It's been awhile since I've been to the bars at Rush and Division, which is really Division and State or Division and Dearborn.  But that's what this touristy strip is called, so that's what I will call it for tonight.  I used to live at LaSalle and Division, so occasionally (well, okay, more than occasionally) I would wander down to these bars.  Actually, The Lodge and Butch McGuire's aren't bad places to go, provided you go on a weeknight.  Avoid Mothers and Mothers II at all costs.  And on the weekends, forget it.  This strip is loaded with tourists.  However, tonight it was all locals, and maybe just a few tourists.

We started out the night at the Union League Club bar (where I always have to stop on the second floor to view the Monet), and then headed to PJ Clark's at State and Dearborn.  The only reason PJ Clark's is awesome is because the bartenders are very nice, and because they serve pints in a truly frosty pint glass.  It makes the pint of beer so much better to get that frosty "mug."  The ice is still on it when you get the beer!  Amazing.  They also play pretty good music, have sports on the TV, and generally isn't super packed.  I cannot deal with wall to wall people anymore.  PJ Clark's is off Dearborn, so it isn't on the main drag, but is in the general area.  Then, because it was only a Wednesday night, we made the two block walk over to The Lodge, just for the hell of it.

Now, The Lodge -- despite where it is located -- is a pretty cool bar, and on the weekends it is packed to the extreme.  However, on a Wednesday, not bad.  Had a couple of drinks there, enjoyed the experience, and now I am home, blogging to you. 

But, and I'll admit it's been awhile since I've been to that area, there were cops everywhere.  Numerous cops in groups of 3-6.  I went out for a smoke, and talked for a minute with a cop who was also having a smoke next to his cop car parked right on Division.  Groups of cops wandering and stopping and standing on Division Street.  What is amazing about this is that the bars were empty, and there weren't many people even on the streets other than the smokers like myself.  Shenanigan's had about 10 people, Mother's II maybe 5, The Lodge about 30, Butch McGuire's, again maybe 30.  Very few people wandering the streets, and most appearing to be heading to the train at Clark and Division.  There was no one out, yet there were cops everywhere watching. 

It was interesting.  I wonder if it has anything to do with all of the flashmobs and wildings?  Still, I'm not complaining.  I like to see the Chicago cops out in full force!

No comments:

Post a Comment