Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bathroom Remodel - Small Master Bath and Second Bath

All right.  I can't find my "before" pictures.  I know I took them on this new camera, but they are nowhere to be found, so maybe I accidentally deleted them, or else they are hiding in a folder somewhere.  I'm incredibly irritated about this, because I can't show you how far I've come! 

At any rate, let me try to set the scene in words:

Both my master bath and second upstairs bath are very small.  Think single vanity, tub, toilet.  The master bath is a little bigger because it has a small closet.  But, they are small and I can't do anything about that.  I'm in Chicago, in a townhouse with a total square footage on three floors of about 1800 sq ft.  So, I didn't have much to work with as far as doing something completely awesome, nor do I want to over improve for the kind of place I'm in.   

When I moved in two years ago (holy crap, has it really been two years since I bought this place?), both bathrooms still had their original 1985 decor.  It wasn't as terrible as you would think.  The tile (floor and tub walls) was 2"x2" white, the vanity was white, tub was white, sink was white.  It was just very dull.  And due to the age, the tubs had scuffs and chips, and the floor tiles had a lot of cracks as well.  It really, really could have been worse.  But of course, I knew I would remodel them at some point.  And 2011 was the time!

I have no experience with anything remodeling related.  I watch HGTV, but I never actually had to do any of this myself.  Let me tell you -- it is overwhelming to pick out tile, fixtures, vanities, tubs, toilets, paint, etc.  I mean, you have to design a bathroom even if you are someone (like me) who has no designing bathroom experience.  So, I just went with what I liked.  I hired an awesome, awesome contractor.  (Who I still love even though he is nearing on a month over the time when he said all of this work would be done.  The tile work is really amazing.)  He directed me to some great folks at Community Home Supply, Home Carpet One, and Stone City.  And, my new bathrooms were born.  (Bathroom number three should be finished in a week or two, I hope!)

At any rate, I promised I'd post pictures of my bathrooms, so here goes.  I wasn't sure how it was all going to come together, but I am very happy with them both.  They don't photograph as well as I would like, particularly the master bathroom, but it's the best I can do.

This is the second bathroom, which was the cheapest (but still not terribly cheap):


This is 12x24 porcelain tile, the cheapest tile I got.  It looks almost like brushed concrete.  The porcelain options are really amazing now.  The color in the above photo isn't accurate.  The one below is what it looks like.  The dark brown glass trim around the shower was the most expensive at around $50 a square foot.  Luckily I didn't need that much of it!  I should've taken a closer picture of it, but it is basically very thin slivers of brownish glass.   


It looks very awesome, and feels almost spa like.

I went with a white porcelain sink/vanity and dark brown base.  I went back and forth about going with a stone vanity top in here, but then decided that since I did stone in the other two, I'd do something different in this one.  I didn't want to do the same thing in all three bathrooms, so as you will see, they are all totally different.  I don't know if this was the wrong thing to do or not, but I like a lot of different things, so I like having different bathrooms, you know?  Benjamin Moore Winter Wheat is on the walls:



Sink fixture (chrome in here):


Tub fixture:



Lights, where I went with round:



I don't know what that big white glare on the wall is to the right of the mirror, other than maybe a reflection.  It's just a plain wall.  The mirror is inset into the wall and is a huge medicine cabinet.  I should've taken a picture of how awesome it is.

And the dual flush toilet, which went in all three bathrooms (and my foot):



Obviously I haven't really decorated yet!  I will be getting some nice towels and some stuff for the walls.

And now, on to the master bath.  This one doesn't photograph as good as it looks in person.  The tile is silver travertine, which is basically mixtures of beige and gray.  It looks more beige in photographs than it looks in person.  In person, it is more gray looking.  I'm not sure what the deal with that is and I took a bunch of pictures but couldn't capture how it looks in person, but it'll give you an idea anyway.  There is mosaic glass on the tub front and as an accent in the tub:


Same vanity as the other bathroom, but with a gray quartz counter and square white sink.  Also, the same freaking amazing inset medicine cabinet/mirror.  Benjamin Moore Gray Tint is on the walls (it looks very blue in the photos, but it isn't in person, and is just a light gray):



And the lights, where I went with square (along with some of my crap, and the same weird reflection as in the other bathroom, and I don't know why the one wall appears so much darker because it is the same color as the others, and again, not blue at all):



And the tub fixture (nickel in here):


And my favorite -- and a splurge -- the sink faucet:



All in all, I am very happy with how everything turned out, and very relieved.  I was like an idiot trying to pick all this stuff out, and it really wasn't something I enjoyed doing.  I didn't post a pic of the shower heads, but they are both the rain kind.  I like them a lot!

So...the basement bathroom, which is still in progress, is the one where I went a little more funky, with a vessel sink.  I'll post pics of that one if it ever gets finished.....

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! You did a really nice job picking things out! I had been trying to visualize what you were doing and I think you had described it pretty well before because this is pretty much how I had imagined it!
    LOVE the master bath! That front of the tub accent is brilliant! I've never seen that before. I like how you incorporated the glass tiles a little bit because yeah, they are super expensive but everyone loves them.
    You contractor did a really clean job. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They look really great. I still can't believe they are my bathrooms. As far as the glass on the front of the tub, both my contractor and the tile lady thought I was being a little nutty not continuing the travertine there, but I really like how it turned out, and so did the guy who laid my tile. He kept going on and on about how great it looks. I wish I could capture the color in there correctly, but oh well. Maybe I'll start a new trend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything's coming real well there, especially the home flooring which in my opinion is really important to keep on point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be late for this but I can't help but admire your bathroom. At first glance, I thought it's a hotel bathroom. Pretty cool, right! Anywho I like your choice of fixtures, it's very modern-looking, but still the mood it sets is very elegant. -->Ryann Hoyer @ YanceyCompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More pictures would’ve been better, but I think these fairly showed that you’ve really accomplished something. The bathrooms were very neat, which made them sophisticated for me. ;) It’s probably because of the great choice of materials.

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete