Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Random Thoughts on November 29

Well, it's 12:01 a.m., so I guess it's November 29.  You know I'm a night owl, but even more so tonight because my couch from Pottery Barn is finally getting delivered tomorrow between 9:30 and 11:30, so that means I get to sleep in a bit.  Yay!  (Says she who slept in for the past four days...)  Anyway, it's been awhile since I've updated on much, so here we go!

1.  My two favorite new shows are Revenge and Ringer.  Both are deliciously soapy and moving along at a quick pace.  I'm entertained, not bored, not too cheesed out, and not bothered by the flaws, so thumbs up.  Also, as a huge Buffy fan, it's great to see Sarah Michelle Gellar back on my TV.  Honorable mention to Once Upon a Time.  Honorable honorable mention to Grimm

2.  Shows I've canceled from my DVR?  Pan Am (eh, I tried), Harry's Law (sick of it), Blue Bloods (boring), Law and Order SVU (no Elliott, so no).

3.  I have the worst fantasy football team on the planet.  Don't try to convince me I don't, because I do.  Even Jordy Nelson can't save me from the rest of the team.  Michael Vick SUCKS.

4.  My sister M is pregnant again!  She is due in April.  So far, so good.  Keep your fingers crossed.  She will be going to Mott for an ultrasound of the baby's heart in December, and likely at some point after that as well.  The new baby coming will hopefully get us through what will sure to be a tough Christmas and New Year's as we remember my niece L and the horribleness of last New Year's.

5.  One of my best friends who has battled cancer, then discovered she had a heart defect so she couldn't carry a baby, then decided with her husband to get a surrogate because they really wanted a baby of their own, then went through a whole, long ordeal to get healthy eggs from her, and a whole bunch of other crap....are expecting twins through their surrogate in March.  I've been doing the happy dance for them!!!   

6.  But don't be fooled.  I still don't like kids.  I'm just happy for other people who want them, when they can have them.  And I like them in small doses, as long as I can go home at the end of the day to a quiet house.

7.  My Secret Santa kid (I do a gift thing for low income kids) is named Zebediah, which I love.  He is the same age as my nephew, and likes Cars stuff like my nephew, so Zebediah is going to get some great stuff from me!  (It's easy, because I can just buy two of whatever I get for my nephew!)

8.  I'm going to the Big Ten Championship game in Indianapolis this weekend to cheer very loudly for MSU.  I hate Wisconsin.  Go right through for MSU..... 

9.   I bought owl mugs from West Elm:
I looked at these mugs like eight times, and debated spending $10 on a mug.  (Yeah, I can be a little cheap.)  But then I realized that I've only bought four mugs in my entire life, the four I bought with my whole 4 plate, bowl, etc. set at Pier One in around 1998.  Yet I have a ton of mugs.  More than enough.  People just buy you mugs when they don't know what else to get you.  I have a cupboard full of mugs that I didn't buy.  So dammit, I wanted to buy mugs I liked that I picked rather than the cornucopia of mugs that litter my cupboard, so I bought two of these owl mugs.  They are so cool!  They are rather huge, though.

10.   Oh yeah, I also bought him:

He's sitting in the middle of my dining room table right now.  (I need a centerpiece!  But, he looks kind of cool there.)  And he's mercury glass and half of the proceeds go to St. Jude's.  Good God, I don't have to justify this, do I?  Isn't he cute?  I didn't even know I liked owls until I saw all of these owls at West Elm.

10.  I need to call an electrician out.  My electric bill has been outrageously high.  I called and got it put down briefly, thinking it was a meter misread, but it does not seem to be, based on my last bill.  My usage appears to be at least double what it normally is this time of year, and I haven't changed anything.  The a/c is what puts my electric bill up (my furnace is gas) and I haven't had the a/c on since early September.  Except, of course, the work done on my house this summer.  But the outrageousness of usage didn't start until after they were done, when my October bill showed up.  Seems to me that it would've showed up sooner if they would've done anything to suck the electricity out of my house.  So, something in my house (probably my fridge or hot water heater) is sucking electricity out of my home.  I have to figure this out.  My electric bill is usually nonsensically small in the winter, and I'll be damned if I'm paying $150+ a month when it should be around $50.  Did I mention how fun it is to be a home owner?  What the hell?  What changed?  All these people online are like, unplug everything in the house (what?  really?) then shut off your fuses and look at the meter and see if it is still running and then do this and this and this.  Um...no.  I'm just going to call out an expert, thanks.  I'll let them deal with it, and then I will gladly pay them their hourly rate.  I'm going to call the guy who did the electric on my remodel, since he should have some insider knowledge of my wiring.  I really don't think he did anything wrong, though.  I just think my fridge or hot water heater has gone haywire.    

11.  And, I forgot to post my new table, also from West Elm:
Sorry for the small pic.  West Elm does not make it easy to do a direct link, and I'm too lazy to deal with other nonsense to get a bigger picture.  (This direct linking is not copyright infringement!)  However, this little table fits perfectly and beautifully in between my two side chairs.  I needed a small size, so my options were limited.  I had about 14" of space.  This one is 12.5" square.  It's mirrored, but it doesn't look cheesy, and the mirror is not glaring.  I really love it.  It looks so sharp.  And, I got 20% off, so it was only $160.  My living room is almost complete! 

4 comments:

  1. First of all, that owl mug is ADORABLE. I'm a fellow fan of owls and I don't even care if they are trendy. They were in, then they were out, now they're back in again. I don't care. I love them.

    I haven't seen The Ringer, but the girls over at Go Fug Yourself do a recap every week and it's pretty much the best. I'm really bad at watching TV when it is actually on because I have a crappy TV & still use an antennae to pick up the digital signal. But I tried watching Pan Am and got through the first 3 episodes and I just couldn't watch anymore. The other show I'm still on the fence about is New Girl. In general, I like Zooey Deschanel, but that show seems so gimmick-y sometimes. But I keep watching it online, so I guess I like it?

    Hooray for your living room! I can't wait to see pictures. I loved your bathroom remodels! When my boyfriend gets back from his deployment, he's moving into an apartment of his own and he has zero furniture other than his bedroom set, so I'm super excited to help him shop for the living room!

    This comment is really long, whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that mug great? I'm so glad I broke down and bought two of them!

    I love the Go Fug Yourself recaps of the wardrobe on Ringer, because it is a really bizarre wardrobe they have put on Sarah Michelle Gellar. I haven't watched New Girl, but I've heard some fairly good things about it. I kind of like Zooey Deschanel, so maybe I will check it out.

    Shopping for furniture is fun, but overwhelming. Too many choices! I went back and forth on things for ages. You will have fun helping your boyfriend. So glad to hear he is coming back soon! You must be really excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that table! Mercury glass is so pretty and owls? hello! They're adorable! Nice that you're getting some glammed up things in your living room to catch the light and sparkle it up!

    Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for your sister. I Can't believe it's been a year already. That was such a sad time. I'll be thinking about you guys.

    And what great news for your friend! Holy cow she's really been through it!

    ReplyDelete