Thursday, December 1, 2011

Random Thoughts on December 1

Just because I realized I have a few additional things to share:

1.  I'm co-teaching a class in January at my law school alma mater!  Oh, these poor law school students who are going to have to deal with me.  I'm very excited about it, because it's a foot in the door for me.  I would love, love to teach Patent Litigation there.  I've been told I will get a modest stipend. 

2.  On the negative side, I have -- honestly -- the worst caseload I have ever had for the month of December.  I have four sets of infringement contentions due, an appellate response brief, and multiple discovery responses.  I'm obviously leaning on the associates to help out, but some of them are rather new, so I'm still going to have to do quite a bit of work in reviewing their work and teaching them the right way to do this stuff.  At this point, I'm not even sure I can leave Chicago for Christmas.  UGH!

3.  I also might have jury duty on December 12, for the first time ever.  (Yay!  My first summons!)  I'm officially a "standby juror" which means I have to call in on December 9 (Friday) after 4:30 p.m. to find out if I need to show up on Monday.  I will be in Las Vegas on December 9, for a weekend including the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil show, so...I will make that call, but I might be a bit inebriated when I make it.  Even if I have to go, I'm 99% positive no lawyer in their right mind will pick me, but you never know.  Normally lawyers aren't chosen, but, if it is a criminal trial, my chances go up since I know nothing about criminal law except my 1L Criminal Law class and my studying for the bar.  But still, they don't want me.  I know what a high standard reasonable doubt it, and I'm a leader.  I desperately want to not get picked, given my case load, as described above, but as a lawyer, I cannot claim hardship due to my job, given that as a trial attorney, I regularly ask people to do the same.  Some lawyers disagree with my view and will do anything to get out of jury duty, but I don't abide by that viewpoint.  If I'm going to ask people to make sacrifices to serve on my jury, I will do the same for someone else, if they want me.  

4.    I have two trials scheduled for next year, in April and June, and I think they will both go.  Exciting, but stressful.  Maybe I'll survive.   

5.    I hate the Philadephia Eagles.  Drafting Michael Vick and the Eagles defense in my fantasy football league are easily two of the worst choices I've made this year.  Heh, I guess that means I've had a pretty good year.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're getting into teaching! I think you're gonna love it!

    I've been sent the jury duty letter so many times but they never pick me! I want to do it so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your job! Once upon a time, I thought about becoming a lawyer because I thought it might be a good fit for someone like me, who likes to keep learning things.

    The one & only time I got a jury duty summons, I was studying abroad in Italy, so I got out of it. My step-dad has done it twice, once on a grand jury in Chicago. He & my mom took the train in from Aurora every day and my mom would have lunch with my cousins & shop while poor Mike would sit in the courtroom.

    ReplyDelete