Friday, March 16, 2012

Can You Just Call Me?

I don't know if the right word for this is "entitled," but I just saw the strangest thing at Walgreen's.

I went over to pick up a prescription, and ended up in line behind a guy who looked to be around 22.  He was dressed in dress pants and a button down shirt, so presumably he works at some semi-professional job in the Loop.  He was dropping off his prescription, and the pharmacist told him it would be ready in about ten minutes.  Then this happened:

Him: Can you call me?
Pharmacist:  (looking confused)  You can just wait.  It'll be about ten minutes.
Him:  Can you just call me when it's ready?
Pharmacist:  (still confused)  You can wait?
Him:  I'll just come back.  Can you call me?
Pharmacist:  Ten minutes.
Him:  Can you just call me when it's ready?

Eventually, he gave the pharmacist his cell phone number, and she told him she'd call.  But how strange.  Why not just come back in ten minutes?  Is he that Busy and Important that he can't waste a single minute waiting for his prescription?  As if the pharmacist has nothing better to do than call him, even though he could just come back in ten minutes?  I just would never dream of doing something like that. 

1 comment: