Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Break At Age 13 Without Parents

I'd like a show of hands. Who, here, went on Spring Break to another country without their parents at age 13? Anyone? I never went on a Spring Break vacation with my friends, period, until I was 20 years old and in college. And then I went to Crested Butte, Colorado to go skiing.  Oh, and I rode a bus from Michigan to Colorado to get there.

One of President Obama's daughters is reportedly on vacation in Mexico for Spring Break with 12 friends...and accompanied by 25 Secret Service agents. Of course she needs protection and Secret Service agents when she travels. I'm not disputing that at all. The problem I'm having with this is why do taxpayers have to pay for a 13 year old to go on Spring Break with her friends? Why do we have to pay for 25 Secret Service agents for Spring Break? If she was with one or both of her parents, I'd have much less of a problem with this, because likely it would be some kind of a state or official visit, or at least a family vacation. But it isn't. It's a 13 year old going on vacation. (And to be fair, it's not like she hasn't had a number of vacations in the past year.) I'm sure there are adults around supervising. I certainly hope we aren't paying Secret Service agents to supervise a 13 year old, because that, too, I have a problem with. That isn't their job. But, who knows?

News of this little trip started hitting the media yesterday, and then it was promptly scrubbed from a variety of outlets. There may be valid safety reasons for not disclosing her location; that's fair. However, there's probably a good argument that she shouldn't be in Mexico without her parents to begin with, particularly since the federal government is warning U.S. citizens not to travel to Mexico. I don't recall Chelsea Clinton taking Spring Break trips when she was a young teenager living in the White House. The Democrats like to claim that Mitt Romney is "out of touch." Well, isn't President Obama equally as "out of touch?" Our economy is in the crapper, spending is out of control, and gas is spiraling toward $5.00 a gallon. Yet, somehow, it's okay for us taxpayers to pay for his young teenage daughter to take a Spring Break vacation in Mexico with her friends. I don't get it. The cost of this trip must be astronomical.

2 comments: