Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Everyone on Game of Thrones Looks the Same

I love the Game of Thrones series on HBO.  However, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to keep track of many of the characters if I hadn't read the books.  (Well, to be fair, I am 3/4 of the way through the second book, so I'm not quite done yet.  But still, the books help a lot.)  There are a jillion characters in this series.  Although HBO has cut down on some of them, there is still a fair amount of people to keep track of.

My problem is, many of the characters look the same to me.  Half of me believes that HBO has put one over on all of us and hired the same actor to play different characters.  (That would be a ridiculous con that would take quite a bit to really pull off.)  For some of these characters, the only way I can figure out who is who is based upon who they are interacting with or where they are.

For example:

Tywin Lannister:


Davos Seaworth:




Two old guys with white hair and beards.  Who is who?  Who knows.

Another example:

Robb Stark:


Jon Snow:



The hair length somewhat gives it away, and their locations are a dead giveaway, but these actors look identical to me.  I don't understand why they would cast two actors who look so similar.  The actor playing Renley Baratheon also kind of resembled these two. 

There are also a number of women with long, dark hair and similar features, and more old men with beards.  I don't know if I'm just getting old, or if it is the dullness of the costuming and lighting, or what, but I'm having the worst time trying to remember and figure out who everyone is.  

Am I alone?

1 comment: