Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Work is a funny place.

Before April 10, 2012, I was looking forward to not having to come into the office for awhile.  I've been kind of burnt out, working like a dog since basically around October of last year.  I needed a change and wanted a change, even though I wasn't very thrilled about going off to trial.  Then, a month goes by at trial, and low and behold, I couldn't wait to come back to the office.

I bounced out of bed this morning at 6 a.m. For work!  My little office is just how I left it!  If I could hug my desk, chair, and phone, I would've done so.

Everyone was giving me hugs; you'd think I'd been gone...a month.  I stopped to think about it for a minute.  I've worked here for over eight years, spending 8+ hours a day here five or more days a week.  There isn't a lot of turnover at my firm, even for staff, so the majority of the people who work here I've known that long.  It's a lot of time to spend with people.  They feel like family.  How's this, how's that...my second family.

And I missed them!  Just like I miss the team of 9 of us that were out at trial and spent -- honestly -- every waking second together for over three weeks.  It still feels strange to me to not be seeing my co-workers from the trial every second of the day.  You get close to people when you work in close quarters like that.

Jury's still out...this bodes well for us.

1 comment: