Friday, June 15, 2012

The One Where I Decide To Get Healthy!

Yes, I'm now ripping off Friends.

My case settled!  Yay for my client.  Boo for me.  I wanted to go to trial again.  Oh well.  There will be more opportunities ahead.

So, since I quit smoking on March 22 (!!!) and was out of town for three weeks on trial and eating whatever whenever (thank you McCormick & Schmick's), I put on a few pounds.  When I got home from trial in early May, I was stunned to see that I weighed 145 lbs.  Eek!  I'm 5'6", so that is still within the range of healthy, but for me it was too damn much.  I was shocked and horrified. 

To no one's surprise, I began counting calories and exercising immediately.  I'm down to 140 lbs now, and feeling quite good about the whole process.  In fact, I'm not sure if it's because of my quitting smoking or what, but I've now decided to challenge myself to get into great shape.  Like, I want to actually, truly make this a lifestyle change.  This doesn't mean I intend to give up microbrewed beer and cheeseburgers forever, but to do it all in moderation.  I'm in no rush to really lose the weight -- I'm not going to starve myself or anything -- and as a result, it's been coming off rather well, and I haven't felt much worse for the wear. 

And I've started regularly exercising!  IN THE MORNING.

You might not realize that the "in the morning" part of this is huge for me.  I love sleeping, and I love sleeping in.  So, you might wonder, what has gotten me out of bed at 6 a.m.?  (Yes, SIX A.M.!)  Two things.

1.  Couch to 5 K.  I've never been a runner.  I always hated running.  Hated it.  Thought it was the most boring thing on the entire planet.  We used to have to do a "city" run when I was on crew in high school which was an 11 mile run.  I was always last -- and I was in good shape back then!  You see, there is this 5K run every fall called the Race Judicata.  All the law firms do it, and it's for charity and all that business.  My firm does it.  All my friends do it.  I've never done it.  And I got to thinking -- maybe I should actually do it this year?  So, I downloaded the Couch to 5K app onto my iPhone, and started doing it.  Who knew that all I needed was a goal, directions, and beautiful weather to start enjoying running?  The app is fabulous -- it's nine weeks of three times a week, where you basically train to run a 5k.  It tells you when to walk, when to jog, when to cool down, and is only 30 minutes.  See, I can do 30 minutes.  What is bizarre for me is that I'm dying to get out of bed in the morning to go and do this.  I also bought these:

They are Asics Nimbus 13, and are like walking on air.  And they are purple and gray.  Yay for prettiness!  So, anyway, I will finish off week 4 tomorrow, and am well on my way to being able to run a 5k.  Very exciting.

2.  Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.  On days that I'm not running (or sometimes on days that I am), I'm doing this.  I thought I had done challenging workouts before.  Not compared to this.  The way it works is that there are 3 Levels that are about 25 minutes each.  You do Level 1 for 10 days, Level 2 for 10 days, and Level 3 for 10 days.  All you need is a set of handweights (or something to substitute for handweights.)  It's circuit training, so you do a few minutes of strength, followed by a couple of minutes of cardio, followed by one minute of abs, and you do it three times in three different combinations.  The most awesome part of it all is that it's only about 25 minutes long and I am usually dying by the end of it.  I mean, dripping with sweat.  Typically, the first day I do a new level, I can't even do it.  This is not an easy workout.  But man, you feel like you are working!  I'm digging Jillian.

I also usually do a little bit of Wii Just Dance 1, 2, or 3 each day also -- talk about a good cardio burn.  If you do Just Sweat mode, do the songs with the three sweat drops for the biggest workout.  From my measurements on my heart rate monitor, 10 sweat points = 1 calorie burned.  What's fantastic is that there are songs where you can burn over 500 sweat points, so 50+ calories in about 5 minutes?  Not bad.  I also still like to do the Super Hula Hoop on the Wii Fit. 

I'm also, of course, watching my calories.  And, in addition to the 5 lb weight loss, I feel so much stronger, healthier, and better. 

And I've decided that I'm going to do Insanity.  You've maybe seen the infomercials?  It was either that or P90X, and since the Insanity workouts were shorter, the timing is only 60 days, and you don't need any excess equipment, I decided on Insanity.  I don't know why I'm doing this except to challenge myself.  I'm going to start it in the next few weeks -- probably once I finish Couch to 5K and 30 Day Shred.  That should be interesting.  You may find me laying in a puddle of sweat in my basement.       

3 comments:

  1. Yay for ALL of this! I've been making similar changes too and I was just mentioning to a friend how I feel SO much better about life in general when I have set goals to work toward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! The not smoking thing is amazing enough as it is!
    I started running in the morning too maybe a month or so ago and I pushed myself way too hard - killed my shins, left knee and aggravated an old break. That couch to 5K thing is awesome! Wish I had done that from the get-go!

    ReplyDelete