Thursday, June 7, 2012

Slutty Wednesday -- And The Country Cries

When I was in high school, we wore harem pants (a.k.a. M.C. Hammer pants), acid washed jeans, sweatshirts, flannel shirts, and rugby shirts.  Hardly any girls ever wore dresses, skirts, or anything skimpy.  Oddly enough, no one complained. 

Times have changed.

Apparently some of the girls at Stuyvesant High School in New York are tired of their school's "conservative" dress code.  It prohibits the exposure of shoulders, midriffs, lower backs, bras and undies.  Can you imagine the nerve?  No wonder they are upset.  As a result of this outrage, nearly 100 girls dressed in a risque manner yesterday, in honor of "Slutty Wednesday."

Listen to this genius:
“We work our asses off here, and school is about learning. Clothing is not important,” said ninth-grader [omitted name], who said she has been sent to the office 10 times this school year for showing off too much cleavage, midriff or shoulder.

This is a kid who has absolutely no concept of the real world, respecting authority, respecting herself, or considering why there might be such a dress code.  I'll use that excuse with the Judge, how about that?  "I'm working my ass off here, and court is about litigation.  Clothing is not important."  And I'll wear my thigh high boots, low cut top with no bra, and miniskirt.  I'm sure that will go over well.  Because you know where else prohibits the exposure of shoulders, midriffs, lower backs, bras and undies?  Pretty much every job on the planet, unless you are working at a bar or strip club.

Here is another outrageous rule:
Shorts, dresses and skirts are not permitted to end above the fingertips when students extend their arms down at their sides.
I think my high school had the same one.

Here is what else the above genius had to say:  “Sometimes, the teachers will call you out in the hallway, [but] I like what I wear. I want to have my own style in school,” she added."

By calling this event "Slutty Wednesday," her argument about "style" becomes a nonissue.  It isn't about style if you are applauding dressing like a "slut."  It's about dressing like a "slut."  On a side note, it's hilarious to me that women will get so outraged when people use the word "Slutty," but then they go and use the word themselves.  I don't find it empowering to use a derogatory word -- I think it only encourages other people to use it.

God, I can't wait until these kids have to face the real world. 

1 comment:

  1. What a bunch of idiots. They should all be given detentions/in-school suspensions for deliberately breaking the rules. Dress how you want outside of school and have some respect while you're there. Pretty simple and how the rest of the world works.

    I wish every school in America had uniforms. It would be SOOO much cheaper for the parents, put the focus on education, and to some extent, give the kids an even playing field until they start getting judgy about shoes and whatnot.

    I went to private school for 9 years - no strappy tops, skirts below the knees, no cleavage, no open toed shoes. Boys had to wear collared shirts, ties on Wednesday (chapel), hair cut above the ears, and only jeans on Friday.

    If you broke the rules, they had a special closet full of ugly stuff you had to put on until the end of the day. Ha!

    ReplyDelete