Thursday, July 26, 2012

Another Attack in Lincoln Park

About a month ago, I posted about a surge of crime in Lincoln Park, where I live.  Unfortunately it hasn't stopped.  This is horrifying to me:
A 21-year-old man has been charged after allegedly attacking a woman jogging early Sunday in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
Germaine Walker, 21, of the 1300-block of North Hudson, is accused of grabbing the woman in the 300-block of West Menomonee around 7:30 a.m. Sunday. He is charged with one count of aggravated use of a deadly weapon and one count of unlawful restraint after he allegedly grabbed the jogger and dragged her into an alley.
Police say she screamed as the attacker repeatedly told her to keep quiet or he would kill her.
The victim said she felt a knife in the attacker's hand and in attempt to fight him off, she suffered lacerations and injuries, police said.
When two other joggers passed by, the suspect ran away on foot, police said, but officers patrolling the area were able to catch him minutes later in the courtyard of an apartment building.
What the bloody fuck?  A woman is out jogging at 7:30 in the morning -- on a Sunday -- and this asshole grabs her?  Are you kidding me?      

What a piece of trash he is.  I am so glad they caught him.  Thank God for the other joggers. 

It really makes me wonder -- how many people have seen someone suspicious and not reported it?  How many people have been attacked and the news hasn't reported it?  What is really going on here, and how do we stop it? 

It makes me scared.  I typically go running at around 6:30 in the morning.  Although I usually don't venture quite as far as Menomonee, I'm not too far away.  It's funny because my mom told me I should carry a knife when I run, and I laughed and laughed at the thought of me running through Lincoln Park with a knife in my hand, because it seemed so absurd.  However, hearing this kind of thing happening, maybe it isn't such a stupid idea after all.

1 comment: