Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Month 2 of Insanity is Horrible

Yes, I said it.  Awful.  Awful.

I loved Month 1.  It was very challenging and a lot of fun.  The workouts were around 40 minutes long, which is totally doable for me at 6:30 in the morning.  I looked forward to getting up in the morning to do my Insanity workout.  I was excited for Month 2.  New workouts, longer workouts, more Shaun T, what's not to like?

I'm not sure, really.  The 60 minute workouts have totally thrown me off.  For some reason that extra 20 minutes in the morning is killer for me.  It makes a huge difference, even though it shouldn't.  And on top of that...I don't really like the workouts as much as I did those in Month 1.  There are so many push up variations.  I know that's the entire point, right?  I should man up, push through it so my arms get stronger so I can actually do the push ups.  But I hate push ups.  I also hate plank punches, v pushups, side push ups, and power push ups.  There are also a lot of jumping lunges and squats, which I've been altering a bit because I'm afraid of injuring my knees.  The workouts are amazingly difficult.  At least in Month 1 I felt like I could eventually make it through them without feeling like I was going to die.  I don't even see the light at the end of that tunnel with the Month 2 workouts.  The people doing the workout on the DVD can't even keep up with it. 

It's just...I've lost steam.  I was worried about this.  I have a short attention span, and I tend to get bored easily.  It's why I've never done P90X.  I couldn't imagine doing the same damn thing for 90 days.  I thought 60 days of Insanity might be okay.  And actually, if Month 2 had 40 minute workouts, I might be enjoying it more.  The 60 minutes just feels almost neverending, though, and it's hard for me to do in the morning. 

That said, I have gotten so much stronger than when I started this program, back on June 30.  I can't believe the burpees I can do, the ski abs, the squats, and more.  I feel amazing.  But I'm burnt out on Insanity.  I think I just don't have the attention span.

So, I've decided that I'm going to mix things up as I complete Month 2.  Month 2 will take me longer than a month as a result.  Yesterday I did Level 3 of Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30.  This morning I ran 3 1/2 miles.  (Oh hurray for cooler weather!)  Tomorrow I will go back to Insanity.  I am determined to finish Month 2 -- I just am really feeling the need to change it up a little bit.  I miss Jillian Michaels and I miss running, and I can't do either of those at the same time I'm doing Insanity.  So, I'll follow the Insanity schedule, yet only do it 3-4 days a week instead of 6 days a week. 

As I said, I'm very much nearing my goal weight/size.  Yesterday I wore a size 4 suit that I wore to moot court competitions in my third year of law school.  (Thank God I held on to it!)  Not a bad way to celebrate turning 38!  I haven't been losing the weight as quickly as I near the finish line, but I am still losing inches big time.  I need to start doing some more strength training at this point, but blech.  I like cardio way too much!

2 comments: