Friday, August 3, 2012

Non Scale Victories: Getting Back Into My Interview Suit

Over at My Fitness Pal, people always talk about "non-scale victories" that accrue during the weight loss process.  You know -- things that may or may not be scale related, but are an added bonus to dropping some poundage.  Like being able to run a mile without stopping, or going to McDonald's and ordering the salad without dressing.  Little things.

I had one this past week.

I've had this stack of pants and jeans in the back of my closet for three years -- since I moved in to my house.  They didn't fit me in 2009 when I moved, and hadn't fit me for I don't know how long before then.  Yet, I kept them.  The pile has been cut down in size over the past few years, yet I kept around eight pairs "just in case."  I'm sure most people are well acquainted with the concept of "just in case" items of clothing.  Beyond that stack, I also have a bunch of dresses and suits that fell into the "just in case I can fit into this again someday" category.  You keep them out of hope.  Some items get tossed or given away out of frustration, but there are still always those items.  You equate them with a happier, skinnier time.  I remember when I wore some of these items.  For most of the jeans, it was during law school, back in 2003 or 2004.  I also remember wearing my olive green suit (that I still love) when I interviewed for my current job in the Fall of 2003.  Then there are the pants I wore to my 10 year class reunion, in 2002. 

(I'm sure you know where I'm going with this!)

So, as I've been blogging about, I saw a picture of myself in early May this year and about died at how fat I looked.  Now, I wasn't medically or technically obese or anything, but for me, it was the fattest I've ever been.  I weighed 146 pounds at 5'6".  I gained about five pounds of this weight from quitting smoking and being out of town at trial for three weeks.  The rest of it just crept on over the years, slowly enough that while I noticed, I didn't really notice.  I just bought bigger clothes.  What a dumbass, right?

Since May 24, when I in earnest started watching what I was eating and exercising, I've lost about 13-14 pounds.  This morning I weighed in at 131.5, although I'm not sure that's really where I am yet, since my weight tends to fluctuate.  I like to see a number on the scale for at least a week before I fully accept it!  Most surpring to me is how easy this has been.  I'm not starving myself at all.  And in two short months I feel great about how I look.  I can't figure out why I didn't do this sooner.  Oh well, que sera, sera.

Anyway, I'm going through a massive closet overhaul as I move the clothes that are now too big for me into my spare bedroom, because getting ready in the morning has turned into a nightmare as I try on skirt after skirt that is just too big now.  (The tops and jackets are fine, thank God!).  I also have an unfortunate stack of capris that were too small for me when I started losing weight, and forgotten about along the way, so now they are too big for me. I missed the window where they fit! Ugh.  So, the other night I pulled out that stack of pants from the back of my closet and started trying them on.  To my shock, they fit.  So did my ten year reunion pants!  In fact, some of them were almost too big.  These were my skinny pants!  I started thinking "What the hell?"  So, then I tried on my interview suit.  Now, you have to understand that during the late summer and fall of my third year of law school I had some problems with anxiety and panic attacks and lost a lot of weight.  (I'm not sure what the deal was.  I took Celexa for a few years, but then stopped taking it and haven't had any problems since.)  I was bone thin in around August of 2003.  When I interviewed at my current firm, I had put some weight back on, but not too much.  In other words, I was pretty thin.  I've always looked back on that time and that suit as a weight I was pretty happy with, though.  That suit hasn't fit me in years.  Years, I tell you!  Well, guess what?  It fits now!  I'm getting it cleaned, and I'm going to start wearing it again.

Talk about a non-scale victory!  I'm so happy.  So, what's next on the agenda?  I'm pretty much at the weight I want to be at, so soon I will up my calories and just try to maintain.  I'm starting the second month of Insanity this weekend.  (Yes, I made it through the first month!  Hurray for me!)  I've gotten used to working out in the morning and eating healthy, and it really is starting to feel like a lifestyle change.  Let's hope I can keep it up!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! SO proud of you! 2 months is really no time at all to make such a major change!

    Oh yeah, I have a "just in case" dress - plenty of other things too - but fitting in this one dress is my goal. I wore it in 1997-2000 and it's a simple slim deep hot pink dress from Ann Taylor.

    I do the same thing - wait until the scale says the same weight for a long time before I accept it. I'm at 140 right now. I've lost 10 pounds since June 11th. 1/2 was grief. The other 1/2 is just from all the running around I do during the day at work.

    I'd love to get down to 125-130. I'm 5'3".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I am in AWE of you for doing Insanity. I've watched the infomercial a MILLION times, but I just can't imagine actually doing it! Go you!

    And also, CONGRATS! Isn't that such a great feeling when something that was your "goal item" is too big? I've lost about 10 of the 15 pounds I put on after the fire and I'm trying to drop another 10 before October (when my wedding dress is supposed to come in), but lately I've been thinking more about getting stronger and building some muscle, rather than just trying to drop pounds. There's this thing called the 100 Push Ups Challenge, where over the course of 6 weeks, you work your way up to being able to do 100 consecutive push ups! Since the Mister & I will be spending more time apart in the next couple months, I thought it might be something fun to do together, apart!

    And lastly, I'm happy to hear you talk about how relatively easy the process has been for you. Because I felt that way too and wondered if I was a freak because everyone else seems to struggle so much. I felt like such a dick being all, "La-di-da, it's so easy, I just make choices and the weight FALLS OFF!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks you guys!

    Sarah -- I can't believe I'm doing Insanity either. This is the kind of thing I never thought I'd ever do, but hey, look at me now! :) I totally hear you on how easy this process has been, and I'm glad to hear you've had an easy time of it also, because I was starting to kind of feel like a freak. I saw that 100 push ups challenge, and that's exactly what I need to do. My arms are so weak -- although, they have gotten stronger. Let me know how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete