Monday, May 6, 2013

You Tubing A Workout

I recently started Turbo Fire, another Beach Body workout. It is so much fun, and I highly recommend it. But that’s not what this post is about.

One of the women on the Turbo Fire DVD reminds me of one of my coworkers. Her mannerisms, looks, everything. While at work today, I went over to You Tube to try to find a snippet of Turbo Fire so I could show her, and ….well…I found out that there are a lot of people out there who videotape themselves doing the Turbo Fire workout(s) and post them on You Tube. A little more searching showed me that there are thousands of people out there who videotape their workouts and put them up on You Tube.

I don’t understand this. Is this part of the “I’m so interesting” phenomena that leads people to Tweet or Instagram about every aspect of their life? Or is this a bunch of people who are hoping to somehow become famous?  I understand doing a video review of a product. That seems like something others might want to watch if they are trying to decide whether or not to buy a product. But, I don’t understand why you would record yourself doing the entire workout and then put it up on You Tube. Do people actually watch that kind of stuff? (I can’t imagine wanting to watch a stranger work out.)  It's amazing when you consider all the crap that is probably stored on You Tube's servers.  I swear, every day I feel like I’m getting more and more out of touch with all of this social networking type of stuff.  I just don't get it.  And I don't get how people have the time for it.

Anyway, my search for a snippet of Turbo Fire showing my coworker’s doppelganger was a bust. I’m just going to have to bring in the DVD to show her.

2 comments: