Monday, June 17, 2013

Female Attorneys Should Wear Jackets

I came across this article today:
The Tennessean reports that Rutherford County Circuit Judge Royce Taylor has outlined in the Rutherford County Bar newsletter that women are showing too much skin while defending their clients.

“I have advised some women attorneys that a jacket with sleeves below the elbow is appropriate or a professional dress equivalent,” the letter states, according to The Tennessean. “Your personal appearance in court is a reflection upon the entire legal profession.”
It might be hard to believe, but there are more than a few female attorneys out there who think it is perfectly proper to wear sleeveless dresses to appear in court.  (And don't even get me started on the huge number of female attorneys who no longer wear pantyhose, or those who wear open toed shoes to court.)

I think this Judge is right on.  If the men have to wear suit jackets, women should have to as well.  Court is a formal, respectable place, and the required attire should reflect that.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree and now that I work in a law firm and see how the attorneys dress for court... the no pantyhose thing really irks me. Pantyhose at funerals and court. Always.

    The men always look sharp but the ladies look dumpy. Drives me nuts.
    If this one Federal case goes to trial, my boss said the paralegal and I can go with him and the Jr. atty on the case. I can't wait! I'll be wearing a suit and pantyhose!

    ReplyDelete