Thursday, June 6, 2013

Introverts in Law and Government

So, I've been reading this book called Quiet, which is a bestseller and such, and all about introverts.  I've only just started reading it (off and on) and it's been quite inspiring to me, because I'm an introvert.  It's hard to be a litigator (or trial attorney) and be an introvert.  Most lawyers like to talk at length.  I don't.  This book (so far) has been completely eye opening to me.  I always felt off because I hated group projects, hated the talking and extroverted type stuff that was forced upon me in engineering school and law school.  Well, low and behold, I'm not a complete weirdo.  I'm just an introvert.  And yes, I survived through it all.  I even survive through arguing all day in court at Markman hearings and such.  I can behave like an extrovert, even though I'm not.  It is not my natural inclination at all.  I hate doing client dinners, spending all day with clients, spending all day at depositions followed by the dinners, playing the settlement dance, making small talk, talking about myself and my war stories, and all that.  I just want to write briefs and do my job.  And I am a good lawyer.  The rest...don't waste my time on calls that aren't going anywhere.  Don't waste my time on meet and confers where we know full well we aren't going to agree on anything.  It's interesting because most attorneys truly are extroverts.  I'm not.  But somehow, I've still made it work.

This book has made me really question the leadership in our country.  To get into a leadership position, you need to get elected.  To get elected, you have to be social and to network and to have a big personality.  Like, big time.  So, for the most part, this is a hard thing for most introverts to do.  Introverts are at least as smart as extroverts, right?  I mean, there is no proof that they are dumber just because they don't like to run their mouth as much, right?  But, for leadership in our country we are trapped by the process to the extroverts.  That's not to say that we haven't had introverted leaders, because I think we have. But, it is a lot tougher for them. 

I only thought about this because I would, in some ways, like to run for Congress.  But then I think about all the events and fundraising I would have to do, and that totally turns me off.  So, think about this:  the leaders of our country are essentially the famewhoring extrovert types who either like the fundraising and networking events or are led by the nose by a person who likes the fundraising and networking events.  Or they get where they are via their family names or otherwise.  So, what about the people out there who might know something about how to improve out country, but don't want to partake in all the nonsense to get elected?  Can I just put a sign up and tell people to vote for me?  No, not really.  I would have to get the word out about me.  I could do that, to a certain extent, but it would be hard on me.  Is there really a chance to elect a true introvert in this day and age?  I really don't think so.  To be completely honest, I think we are on a huge downward spiral with this country.  Everything is about celebrity and press.  I think we would be well served to find Congresspeople and a President who aren't so interested in the press and attention and are more interested in actually governing our country.          

1 comment: