Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I'm Engaged!

Yes, me, who never wanted to get married...is now going to get married.  He popped the question over the holidays and I didn't even blink when I said yes.

Why?

Well, a number of reasons.  Not all of them are entirely romantic, either.

I'm tired of being alone.  Yes, I said it.  I'll be turning forty later this year and have never been married.  It feels like everyone is coupled up.  It's nice to feel like I have an other half now.  It's nice to feel like someone has my back.  And boy, does he ever!  He is a wonderful, considerate person.  I feel very lucky to have met him. 

It's time for a new adventure.  At this point...why not get married? 

I love him.  Duh.

We are very compatible.  I can easily see us retiring together someday and having lots of great adventures.

I'm tired of dating.  On Friday night I was out with some girl friends, and we were at a club, and I looked around and thought "Thank God I have a wonderful man at home and don't have to worry about any of this nonsense anymore!"

We both love our red wine and craft beer.  This is very important.

Of course, I've never wanted a wedding, so that is going to be the next hurdle.  (I looked at The Knot web site last night and about broke out into hives.  I can't believe how serious some of these girls are about linens and place settings.  Who the hell cares?  The thought of planning a wedding is so distasteful to me...but more on that later.)   

I need to convince him that we should elope to Hawaii, just the two of us, and get married on the beach.  We'll see, though -- I think he may want us to have a big party!

2 comments:

  1. So I just happened to click on your blog tonight and I squealed out loud when I read this! Congratulations! I don't blame you for breaking out into hives. Planning a wedding sucks, in my opinion. I also wanted to just elope but my mister wanted the big party, so I feel you. People kept telling me, "Oh, in the end, it will be worth it." Granted, I'm only 8 months out, and it WAS fun, but I really don't think I'd have missed the stress. I actually had a freaking stress dream about my 8-months-done wedding two nights ago. Like, woke up sweating with a pounding heart. And do you want to know what the crisis was in my dream? I couldn't find my shoes. What? I don't even know.

    Anyway, I don't suppose that helped much, but I hope your wedding planning goes well and marks the beginning of an awesome marriage!

    ReplyDelete