Monday, March 17, 2014

Gaining Weight While Dating


What is it about dating that makes the weight pile on?  CTF and I love wine, craft beer, and food.  Lots and lots of food.  One of our favorite things to do is to stop in at a new place to have drinks and eats.  As a result, we have both gained weight.  I’ve put on around 10 pounds in the year and a half that we’ve been dating.  I think he’s put on close to 20 pounds.  I glanced over at his gut over the weekend and found myself thinking “Where did that come from?”  But I’m no innocent party either.  While I’m still fitting into my “skinny” jeans, another couple of pounds and I’ll be digging back into my fat clothes to find something to wear.  Squeezing into my jeans is starting to make me feel like a sausage.  
 
You’ll recall that I went through quite a fitness craze in the months leading up to meeting CTF.  I quit smoking, started running, did Insanity, and got myself down to a weight I hadn’t seen since college.  I felt great!  I looked great!  Life was great!  And while I have continued to work out (although without nearly the dedication) and generally eat fairly healthy during the week, the weekends have turned into a pit of gluttony.  Chicago is a bad place to live if you like to eat.  

Let’s just put it this way.  Yesterday I did Jillian Michaels’ No More Trouble Zones DVD and today I am finding out that most of my trouble zones haven’t been worked in a long time.  I can barely hobble around the hallways here at work.  But at least I worked out.  That’s the bar these days – at least I did something. 

Part of the problem has been the weather.  It has been nonstop snow and cold since November.  Not only did I lose motivation to do anything healthy, it was impossible (and miserable) to spend any time out of doors, even to go for a walk.  As a result, I’ve barely been able to run since November.  The other night it hit fifty degrees, so I went for a run and the endorphins hit hard.  I felt phenomenal.  Then two days later it snowed again.  It was frigidly cold yesterday.  Today is a little better.  Who knows when we will see true relief.  And the cold makes me want macaroni and cheese and Pequod’s pizza and a tall glass of beer.  

But CTF is a bad influence on me.  He gets me out of my workout routine.  He convinces me to go and have fun when I should be working out.  He wants to split dessert, split a bottle of wine, try that new steak place.  Oh, and Goose Island has new beers every week that we have to try.  And the pastry counter at Whole Foods calls my name.  

But I know it's my fault.  I can't really blame the weather or CTF.  I know how to say no.  I know how to lose weight.  I just need to muster up the motivation to do it.  CTF is moving in soon.  I find myself wondering if we will get better or worse.  I tend to think that once we are living together we will stop going out to eat so much, and will settle into more of a healthy routine.  I tease him that now we can both really let ourselves go.  Will we?  Tough to tell.

All I know is that I need to try to lose 5-7 pounds before summer hits.  So does he.  I can’t wait for the weather to warm up so we can start going for long walks again, as we did last summer and fall.      

1 comment: